Swinging down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
that's fine you don't really care for the swing. We like what we like. Do you think she was tipped behind her COG? Thats all I was getting at.
Not the best angle but perhaps a bit before she launches? Doesn't look too bad in the clip I posted. Once you launch that is going to happen to a certain degree, right?

Oct 2, 2017
Not the best angle but perhaps a bit before she launches? Doesn't look too bad in the clip I posted. Once you launch that is going to happen to a certain degree, right?
If she is "tipped" behind during her sequence then it's only a small amount. I do think it will happen more at launch.

Very similar to David just a narrower base.

Apr 11, 2015
That’s not even remotely close to what he is explaining with the back hip/femur.

And no again on weight shift.
I don't ever remember you at Hitting Illustrated, or at Rich's first ever clinic in San Diego when "Encinitas", "Mightylakers", and myself paid for his airfare, and lodging for the Friday night, Saturday, Sunday morning clinic. Or were you one of the three or four guys who walked out in the middle of the Friday night chalkboard session when Rich was trying to stumble around explaining pronation/supination?

I'll be the first to admit that Rich had/has some good ideas wrt the swing, but unfortunately, he butchers the anatomy, physiology, and kinesiology of how to produce what he sees, and tries to explain. His stubbornness in accepting help from many who tried to assist him in simply making his instructional words match his theory is what lost and cost him....IMO naturally.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Revisiting this.

This is good too.

Those are pretty good.

It matches what we see happening here. The initial rotational forces at the rear foot are clockwise (for a RH hitter), which dramatically changes how the rear leg interacts with the rear hip compared with a counter-clockwise (bug squish) move.

1641489761385.gif

Jun 8, 2016
I don't ever remember you at Hitting Illustrated, or at Rich's first ever clinic in San Diego when "Encinitas", "Mightylakers", and myself paid for his airfare, and lodging for the Friday night, Saturday, Sunday morning clinic. Or were you one of the three or four guys who walked out in the middle of the Friday night chalkboard session when Rich was trying to stumble around explaining pronation/supination?
While entertaining, ;), this is sort of irrelevant. What would be relevant is for @Shawn to post a clip (it can be recent) which disputes what you are saying regarding Rich's understanding of how the hip works.

I think we can all agree that any move (whether it be a sway, badly sequenced coil, etc) that causes you to "fight" gravity on your move out, is bad.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal

I'll be the first to admit that Rich had/has some good ideas wrt the swing, but unfortunately, he butchers the anatomy, physiology, and kinesiology of how to produce what he sees, and tries to explain. His stubbornness in accepting help from many who tried to assist him in simply making his instructional words match his theory is what lost and cost him....IMO naturally.

In my observations, TM's understanding of how the body works and moves has improved some over the years. That said, it also seems that the best instructors of the HLP are the guys who have learned from TM, and actually work with students on a regular basis - the "next generation" guys. They are learning how to adapt the pattern to how students actually learn, and how to make corrections when the students fall into traps (i.e. barrel dump). Of course, TM being TM, he quickly bashes those guys for straying from his methods.

Apr 11, 2015
While entertaining, ;), this is sort of irrelevant. What would be relevant is for @Shawn to post a clip (it can be recent) which disputes what you are saying regarding Rich's understanding of how the hip works.
True. Maybe Rich has completely revamped and revolutionized his teachings from what they were 15 years ago. 🤷‍♂️🙂

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles