Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
FYB and launch coincides... every great hitter gets to FYB. Of course they don't stop there and wait for a bus(even though they can if they wanted to).. the swing launches from that balanced leveraged position.

Ok, if that is the launch position why not start there?

May 21, 2018

I'm out. I'll leave this wonderful, but ultimately pointless conversation with a video of last nights hitting session with my one and
only student. 12u hitter (DD) who was taught to turn the barrel behind the ball. No "down through", no "core contraction".

I'm happy with her progress and she is happy, which is all that really matters.

Peace and Love, Peace and Love

Feb 16, 2015
South East
There is no FYB, it’s just something you pass through. It might be a check point, but not a position. The launch position is the only position.

If I understand what is meant by FYB and I believe that I do, I consider it an action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TDS
Apr 11, 2015
Vladdy and Bo... Vladdy tips over his shoulder to get a running start, bo does the exact opposite. Seems counter productive?
They both do the same thing, you've just got different times in their swings that you're trying to compare. Vladdy is starting to TTB, where Bo is still loading or tipping his.

You might be interested in Bo's and his pop Dante's description of barrel path, and using the hands correctly to achieve it...

You'll note, that they too are pro "behind the ball" getting the barrel on plane earlier, and against all of the "swing down" stuff also.

EDIT: Sorry for the repost, I see that "jdint" beat me to it.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
If I understand what is meant by FYB and I believe that I do, I consider it an action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may be a good check point. A good position to quasi delay the swing on off speed pitches. It might also be a good point where the weight goes to the inside of the back thigh.

Edit: it might be a good point to check swing. But is it the launch position that Julray and STD claim? If it’s the launch position show me a hitter that starts from there?

Apr 11, 2015
Here is another drill that helps isolate the middle while allowing the legs to be supporters (if you're truly interested).

oZLHBLw.gif
Rather ironic that you use a clip of a drill that has the player learn to automatically TTB, and not at a single point in it do the hands "swing down" to anything. That's a good drill. 👍🏽

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00