Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2015
What difference does it make ... if the wine glass is sitting on the floor and you are standing, how do you get to it without changing posture? You bend your knees and reach out to it with your hands... or use a very long straw LOL
The difference is not the location of the glass necessarily, but rather is the glass just sitting there, or is it falling.

Yes, no matter where the glass is sitting (statically), one can basically just reach for it with their hand.

But as soon as that glass starts in motion as it begins to fall off the table (dynamically...you better believe that that someone is going to change their posture as they drop their body with the falling glass as they reach for it before it hits the floor.

May 12, 2016
The difference is not the location of the glass necessarily, but rather is the glass just sitting there, or is it falling.

Yes, no matter where the glass is sitting (statically), one can basically just reach for it with their hand.

But as soon as that glass starts in motion as it begins to fall off the table (dynamically...you better believe that that someone is going to change their posture as they drop their body with the falling glass as they reach for it before it hits the floor.
Of course the analogy is using a static object... and I agree completely with what you are saying... but even with a stationary object on the floor, sure you can reach towards with your hands, but you are "reaching". I want my body to adjust so I don't have to reach, that way if somebody knocks the glass over I am in position to react with my hands.

Now somebody get me a glass of wine :)

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
These were from "swing down, aim for the top of the ball" instruction...
yqoMIuK.gif
crHe7NI.gif

I'm not saying this is what you're looking for in your instruction, but what would be the next instructional changes you'd make to these two hitters (since they are swinging down to the ball, have a loop in their swings, and their barrel paths turn up at contact)?

i would go w balance. feeling the back leg load, instead of the sway and push. they rush their swings Bc of their imbalance.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
What difference does it make ... if the wine glass is sitting on the floor and you are standing, how do you get to it without changing posture? You bend your knees and reach out to it with your hands... or use a very long straw LOL

do you change your posture first or do you start to reach first? I believe most would lead w their hand. That’s efficient. I would not bend down first then reach. Would you? I would use an efficient angle. I’m not saying your posture doesn’t change. I’m saying the hands lead the direction of said action. right? Just like hitting.

Oct 2, 2017
do you change your posture first or do you start to reach first? I believe most would lead w their hand. That’s efficient. I would not bend down first then reach. Would you? I would use an efficient angle. I’m not saying your posture doesn’t change. I’m saying the hands lead the direction of said action. right? Just like hitting.

can't it be simultaneously? @julray @Work=wins

Jun 8, 2016
I don’t drink wine but DW does so I will make sure to ask her when I get home.

May 12, 2016
do you change your posture first or do you start to reach first? I believe most would lead w their hand. That’s efficient. I would not bend down first then reach. Would you? I would use an efficient angle. I’m not saying your posture doesn’t change. I’m saying the hands lead the direction of said action. right?
I quit .... seriously I need copious amounts of wine.

if I'm hammering a nail at the ankles. I don't lead by swinging the hammer towards the nail and then change posture... I get in position and then hammer.

I swear, some of your theories on hitting closely align with some of the TTB gurus. It's all about hands leading the way, laser the ball, TTB and the body will react/support etc etc. Edit: Do you understand why I say this??

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
can't it be simultaneously? @julray @Work=wins
Yes.. if I am walking and reach down to pick up something up off the floor, it is simultaneous. However I am not in my most balanced/strong/dynamic position when I do this. If the object moves I cannot recover. If I get my body under me first(posture), the hands are able to react from that strong position if the object moves within range.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
.please stop using this illustration [Ted Williams swing path]. no pitch comes in at that angle unless playing Slo pitch. Most baseball pitches are 4-8 degrees.
instruction-hitting-swing-plane-ted-williams-11-degrees.jpg

Ted's graphic shows an 11 degree bat swing path and the same pitch path.

Fastballs up with no gravity are 4 deg, fastballs down with no gravity are 8 deg.

Curves down are 15 degrees.

So, as long as you tell the pitcher not to throw anything but 4SFB, then that would be a great idea.

Never doubt Ted.

However we know now...

The swing path must be at a greater angle than the pitch path. How do you think you:
1. hit just below the center line to get backspin vs top spin?
2. get a launch angle from 10-30 deg out of a ball coming in at 4-15 degrees?

To illustrate, here is a chart from Diamond Kinetics saying bat (not the pitch) swing angle should be 15+ degrees for home runs.

swing-path-angles-diamond-kinetics.JPG

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LINBAN01