Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2015
yeah. That’s why I notified FP. im not saying you don’t finish up through the swing. I’m saying you swing down to get on plane. Shortest loop, and you level out to the ball, not the ground. That’s long through the zone Imo.
So then how or when do you instruct your hitters to go from a "swing down" path the an "up through" finish?

But at least we're reaching some common ground that there is some loop in the swing to get it leveling out to the ball (or "behind" it in my teachings), and that we're not trying to eliminate the loop in the swing as others here are saying is the goal.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
We might just have to agree to disagree, I simply don't understand how you came to those conclusions? This is all base on pitch read and location and timing

I also agree very much with AP

ive seen it too many times. especially here. The back shoulder drops to get on plane w posture. The hands are glued there. There is no timing adjustment.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
So then how or when do you instruct your hitters to go from a "swing down" path the an "up through" finish?

But at least we're reaching some common ground that there is some loop in the swing to get it leveling out to the ball (or "behind" it in my teachings), and that we're not trying to eliminate the loop in the swing as others here are saying is the goal.

swing down, aim for the top of the ball. There will be some loop, but I want controlled loop. When we want it (lower pitches mostly).

May 12, 2016
Here’s an analogy on direction and posture.

Your body is naturally designed to be efficient. it’s for survival. It’s nature. ‘He who does the least to create the most survives the longest.‘ - someone smart.

With that being said.. do you reach for the wine glass w Your posture or your hands? Why is it different in hitting? It’s about efficiency not power. Sure you will get more power if the pitch is in ’your’ posture, that’s why pitchers don’t throw it there. Lol.
Because when you are sitting at the table the wine glass is in the idea position(plane)... place the wine glass on the floor sitting in the same chair, is it still efficient to reach for that glass without changing your posture? NO. LOL. In any sport, any, you adjust your body to the most athletic position to be efficient, powerful and adjustable. When an athlete makes a handsy or footsy type play, it's generally because they are reacting "out of position".

Oct 2, 2017
ive seen it too many times. especially here. The back shoulder drops to get on plane w posture. The hands are glued there. There is no timing adjustment.
Ok, you may have seen it here too many times and I agree with you, but you cannot assume that the person you are discussing these issues with automatically believes those things and pigeon hole them there. I'm all for adjustment with the hands, timing, etc.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Because when you are sitting at the table the wine glass is in the idea position(plane)... place the wine glass on the floor sitting in the same chair, is it still efficient to reach for that glass without changing your posture? NO. LOL. In any sport, any, you adjust your body to the most athletic position to be efficient, powerful and adjustable. When an athlete makes a handsy or footsy type play, it's generally because they are reacting "out of position".

I was referring to when standing. you know like hitting.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Ok, you may have seen it here too many times and I agree with you, but you cannot assume that the person you are discussing these issues with automatically believes those things and pigeon hole them there. I'm all for adjustment with the hands, timing, etc.

theres a reason why I said here MOSTLY. Anyway. Good talk. rather not go any deeper.

May 12, 2016
I was referring to when standing. you know like hitting.
What difference does it make ... if the wine glass is sitting on the floor and you are standing, how do you get to it without changing posture? You bend your knees and reach out to it with your hands... or use a very long straw LOL

Apr 11, 2015
swing down, aim for the top of the ball. There will be some loop, but I want controlled loop. When we want it (lower pitches mostly).
These were from "swing down, aim for the top of the ball" instruction...
yqoMIuK.gif
crHe7NI.gif

I'm not saying this is what you're looking for in your instruction, but what would be the next instructional changes you'd make to these two hitters (since they are swinging down to the ball, have a loop in their swings, and their barrel paths turn up at contact)?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oconnell.patrick