Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
To me that is turning the barrel.
If this is TTB...
gif (55).gif

Is this un-turning the barrel?
gif (58).gif

To me, it's both hitters using opposite methods(barrel tipping in different directions) to set direction and get to launch position. IMO, whether the barrel floats(in either direction) is style and timing. Otherwise Vladdy is getting a running start, Bo is going in reverse

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
No but that is one swing..might look different if he was looking offspeed and got a fastball (no idea what his approach is and if he would ever do that..)
I agree, his timing could be off depending on the pitch, I think you will find in most cases for Vladdy the barrel starts to un-tip prior to toe touch

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
It is being turned. Or at least he starts to turn it before he stops.

FP26, try to connect the dots of what they are saying and doing (similar to what others do with Josh Donaldson)

i17VL6h.gif

yrDZtmK.gif

9vmC8hW.gif

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
I agree, his timing could be off depending on the pitch, I think you will find in most cases for Vladdy the barrel starts to un-tip prior to toe touch
Here's a couple more, I included the HR contest one because timing "should not" be an issue
gif (61).gif
gif (60).gif

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
FP26, try to connect the dots of what they are saying and doing (similar to what others do with Josh Donaldson)

i17VL6h.gif

yrDZtmK.gif

9vmC8hW.gif

I'm beyond that, and have been. It's the barrel path in their demos that I disagree with (and the dramatic over exaggerated disconnection, but that's another story). I have been trying to point out that the barrel path in the demo and the barrel path in the live swing do not match. In the Bonds clip above, his barrel gets to a position, even on a take, that he never reaches during his hammer demo.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Well... Can it be launched while the front foot is in the air? Not ideally, but yes it can be. During the forward move? No, the forward move is complete by that point, except for weight transfer. The hitter could be at toe touch, beyond toe touch, or even slightly before toe touch. My personal preference is to have both feet on the ground as long as the front foot is not carrying more than 1/2 the weight at the point of launch.

I asked Tom a similar question earlier today and I am still waiting for him to answer. I seem to remember him stating previously that the front foot does not have to be on the ground in order to be leveraged. If I remember correctly he did state that it would be on the ground ideally, but didn't have to be. I asked him to correct me if I was quoting him incorrectly. If my memory of his quote is accurate, him and I are on the same page regarding that part of the process.

How the body moves into a leveraged position matters.. IOW's is one in the process of falling into both legs (leveraging) which utilizes the lead side of the body. Not the same as keeping the weight (majority) over the rear leg and trying to control the move out into a toe touch position using the rear leg hip.

2KTuQZA.gif

dN5sXbr.gif

Not leveraged

2oLHkUD.gif

Transition into leverage.

RW5PHnv.gif

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I'm beyond that, and have been. It's the barrel path in their demos that I disagree with (and the dramatic over exaggerated disconnection, but that's another story). I have been trying to point out that the barrel path in the demo and the barrel path in the live swing do not match. In the Bonds clip above, his barrel gets to a position, even on a take, that he never reaches during his hammer demo.

They know exactly what part of the ball they are attempting to hit in both the demo and live swings.. Demo and live are both attempts at hitting line drives through the target.. None of them talk about just getting the bat behind the ball. With all there demo swings and without proper posture they still hit line drives through their target.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
How the body moves into a leveraged position matters.. IOW's is one in the process of falling into both legs (leveraging) which utilizes the lead side of the body. Not the same as keeping the weight (majority) over the rear leg and trying to control the move out into a toe touch position using the rear leg hip.

2KTuQZA.gif

dN5sXbr.gif

Not leveraged

2oLHkUD.gif

Transition into leverage.

RW5PHnv.gif

When someone makes the comment "stride with your rear leg", are you making the assumption that they don't think other muscles or body parts are involved?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
They know exactly what part of the ball they are attempting to hit in both the demo and live swings.. Demo and live are both attempts at hitting line drives through the target.. None of them talk about just getting the bat behind the ball. With all there demo swings and without proper posture they still hit line drives through their target.

Yet it happens... All top level hitters get the barrel behind the ball.

• Haha
Reactions: TDS

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan