Susie Parra Arizona vs Lisa Fernandez Ucla 1993 CWS final game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Thanks for posting.

2 things:

1) Saw an Arizona LH hitter only wear a batting glove on her LH...odd.
2) The home plate umpire could have down two shots before she made a strike call.

That is all I got..

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Thanks for the input.

Those players are outstanding!
Super neat to watch them throughout the years perform!
Many Legendary Moments by multiple of those players in that game throughout their playing careers. Also the coaching staff that was on the field is remarkable long career leaders!

Think it's pretty special that those players are still involved with softball today at the levels they are!
Total different mind set. They played contact, Alo swings differently. Different game.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
My bad I was confusing Team USA and the pitching plate was at 40 ft and throwing/releasing it from 33ft. During those years.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
My bad I was confusing Team USA and the pitching plate was at 40 ft and throwing/releasing it from 33ft. During those years.
There is also a difference in the more movement of the old white balls vs the lessor movement of the new yellow ball the texture on the outside different.
That discussion is very difficult to discuss because have to have seen hands-on experience of how the same pitchers were affected by a different ball.
It was noticeable!
However I don't think that's applicable to watching this game because the performance is what it is.
Everyone using the same ball I believe that's the yellow one.

As to your hitting discussion.
About mechanics discussion.
LOL even the people in the technical hitting forum cannot seem to agree on what is best. (simply mechanics are a revolving topic)
Nor do the best hitters all use the same mechanics.

What I find most important is,
Success is success.
There is more than one way to reach success. Especially when success is already in the books debating if it was successful or not is irrelevant.

Know the hitting mechanics that I use then have taught them for many years. To softball players who continue to reach success and their experience in top levels of playing currently today.
Myself would continue to use the hitting mechanics I used then in today's game.
*Because the mechanics are successful. 💪
Not because of a calendar date. 🙂

Good luck with whatever mechanics you choose for yourself.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
LOL even the people in the technical hitting forum cannot seem to agree on what is best.
I think most would agree that most of those swings would not "play" today...

That isn't a knock on those kids, they were taught a swing which worked for the type of game which was played back then. Those players were the best players of their day and if they played today would likely be the best players as well...but only if their swings evolved to resemble the swings of today. You do see a difference, right?

This is similar to what we saw from baseball swings in the dead-ball era compared to those after the dead-ball player.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Thanks for posting.

2 things:

1) Saw an Arizona LH hitter only wear a batting glove on her LH...odd.
2) The home plate umpire could have down two shots before she made a strike call.

That is all I got..
2) The stall before the call.

Was that for adding drama?
Or
Actual thinking time 🤔...

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I think most would agree that most of those swings would not "play" today...

That isn't a knock on those kids, they were taught a swing which worked for the type of game which was played back then. Those players were the best players of their day and if they played today would likely be the best players as well...but only if their swings evolved to resemble the swings of today. You do see a difference, right?

This is similar to what we saw from baseball swings in the dead-ball era compared to those after the dead-ball player.
Yes I see differences in the way people do things.
The differences then and what each of them did. And the difference now and how people are still different now then each other.
However there are still similarities being the same that is successful then that is successful now. Simply, not everybody does the same thing.

Also see some of what people are doing in today's swings that are causing failure.
(what becomes a trend)
Have also seen trends come and go.

( I don't put that to a date and time because it's mechanics.)

Hitting, or how to, is an ever revolving topic.
Goes around and around and around...

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Yes I see differences in the way people do things.
The differences then and what each of them did. And the difference is now and how people are still different now then each other.
However there are still similarities and the same that is successful then that is successful now. Just not everybody does the same thing

I also see some of what people are doing things in today's techniques that are causing failure.
( what becomes a trend)
Have also seen trends come and go.

( I don't put that to a date and time because it's mechanics.)

Hitting, or how to, is an ever revolving topic.
Goes around and around and around...
How many line drives were hit in that game? 1? Granted those were two dominant pitchers but the only difference between then and now is the bats since the ball and pitching distance was the same.

You do hitting instruction and have put kids in college ball in today's game. Do the mechanics of your players look like a majority of those 1993 players?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06