Susie Parra Arizona vs Lisa Fernandez Ucla 1993 CWS final game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Lots of swinging while shifting, easy ground outs to short and second.
The ball was dead compared to the ones they use now.
The bats were primitive compared to what they use today--so, it was almost impossible to hit the ball out of the park against good pitching. Anything in the air was an out.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The bats were primitive compared to what they use today--so, it was almost impossible to hit the ball out of the park against good pitching. Anything in the air was an out.

Although, they followed the 80’s erect posture and keep the shoulders level while swinging down. Easy ground balls to second and short. Just like the eighties power outage. Talking the hands forward.

Talk about club bats, Did you see Daltons club? It looks like a bat from a church duffle bag for co ed softball.

Oct 26, 2019
40 foot instead of 43 too right?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Susie Parra induced many of those grounders with intense spin on her drop.
Could see the way that bunt drop dead in front of the plate.

Trying to hit off of her was like trying to follow a roller coaster.
Catching for her could feel the spin when i closed my glove. If you didn't squeeze her off speed tight. The spin could twirl right out of your glove.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Susie Parra induced many of those grounders with intense spin on her drop.
Could see the way that bunt drop dead in front of the plate.

Absolutely, both induced ground outs because hitters tried to stay erect and swing down. Down out front, because everything is going forward (hands driving forward).

Just watch them, their results speak for themselves.

It is only 40 ft so their basically pitching from 33. I’ve seen what a dead ball is like.

They were taught to keep the spine erect and not let the spinning top tip over.

You can read their body language, it tells the whole story.

I say tilt that top.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Absolutely, both induced ground outs because hitters tried to stay erect and swing down. Down out front, because everything is going forward (hands driving forward).

Just watch them, their results speak for themselves.

It is only 40 ft so their basically pitching from 33. I’ve seen what a dead ball is like.

They were taught to keep the spine erect and not let the spinning top tip over.

You can read their body language, it tells the whole story.

I say tilt that top.
Thanks for the input.

Those players are outstanding!
Super neat to watch them throughout the years perform!
Many Legendary Moments by multiple of those players in that game throughout their playing careers. Also the coaching staff that was on the field is remarkable long career leaders!

Think it's pretty special that those players are still involved with softball today at the levels they are!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06