Stride speed equivalent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2019
Did someone have a calculation for each foot gained in stride, what the speed equivalent gain is (given that the pitch is coming from 1 foot closer)?

Nov 22, 2019
I think I figured this out. Basically each foot longer strides adds the equivalent of about 1.6-2.25mph (reduced reaction time for the batter) depending on speed. So if two pitchers are throwing 70mph, and one strides 6ft and the other 8ft, to the batter it appears that the latter pitcher is throwing close to 5mph faster given that they are releasing the ball 2 feet closer to the plate.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
So if two pitchers are throwing 70mph, and one strides 6ft and the other 8ft, to the batter it appears that the latter pitcher is throwing close to 5mph faster given that they are releasing the ball 2 feet closer to the plate.

This is not accurate. One foot increase in stride does not mean that the release point moved one foot horizontally closer to the plate.

One foot gained in stride length seems to result in less than 6 inches of horizontal movement of the ball's release point.

Nov 22, 2019
This is not accurate. One foot increase in stride does not mean that the release point moved one foot horizontally closer to the plate.

One foot gained in stride length seems to result

in less than 6 inches of horizontal movement of the ball's release point.
This post by Denny Tincher thinks the change is 3mph.

1-For every foot you increase stride length, it decreases the amount of time between the ball leaving the hand and the time it strikes the catcher’s mitt. If you do the math, for every 12 inches a stride is increased, it decreases the reaction time of the batter equivalent to increasing your speed 3 miles per hour. That is significant!

Nov 22, 2019
One foot gained in stride length seems to result in less than 6 inches of horizontal movement of the ball's release point.

This doesn't make sense to me. Using an extreme example, a pitcher with a 2 foot stride vs an 8ft stride. The pitcher with an 8 ft stride is releasing the ball much more than 3ft (6 inches per stride foot, 6 foot difference) closer to the plate than the other pitcher. The one is releasing near the end of the circle and the other one near the rubber.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Visualize2 circles with the shoulder as the center. Radius of circle 1 is shoulder to stride foot. Radius of circle 2 is shoulder to wrist. There is no math in my example, I'm not interested in it. Just a visual that depicts how moving outer circle x distance is not the same as moving the smaller inner circle.

Nov 22, 2019
Visualize2 circles with the shoulder as the center. Radius of circle 1 is shoulder to stride foot. Radius of circle 2 is shoulder to wrist. There is no math in my example, I'm not interested in it. Just a visual that depicts how moving outer circle x distance is not the same as moving the smaller inner circle.

Why two circles, why not one? Why wouldn’t the release be the center of a single circle and the foot stride the outer one and the radius fixed?

2nd chart on this softball website on reaction time adjusts for stride, as do baseball sites on their calculations. Notice how at 43 ft they assume the average pitcher is at 7 ft, while at 40 ft, they stride 5ft.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This doesn't make sense to me. Using an extreme example, a pitcher with a 2 foot stride vs an 8ft stride. The pitcher with an 8 ft stride is releasing the ball much more than 3ft (6 inches per stride foot, 6 foot difference) closer to the plate than the other pitcher. The one is releasing near the end of the circle and the other one near the rubber.

The ball is released when the hand is under the torso. If you spread your feet, your torso position only changes 1/2 as much as the distance between your two feet.

(assuming a rightie...) If the kid is using brush interference, the release phase of the pitch is triggered off the contact of the arm with right side of her body. So, the distance of the release point from the plate is controlled by the distance of the right hip from the plate, not the distance of the stride foot from the plate.

2nd chart on this softball website on reaction time adjusts for stride, as do baseball sites on their calculations. Notice how at 43 ft they assume the average pitcher is at 7 ft, while at 40 ft, they stride 5ft.
This doesn't seem relevant. The question is how much a change in the stride length will change the time of the ball to reach the plate.

Attachments

• pauly-release.JPG
    pauly-release.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 14
Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
I work up at 4 am thinking I was wrong. No idea why I didn't view it as the entire assembly moving.

And that is why I'm not in charge of the space program.

Sep 19, 2018
Am I nuts or is it as simple as

Known Speed X Distance / Distance - 1 = percieved velocity?

So a 50MPH pitch released at 36 feet would have the same reaction time as of 51.3888 mph pitch released at 37 feet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06