Still Working - But Hitting Some Snags

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2011
Yeah, there were some tears involved cause she got dad in trouble (she didn't mean to). DW understands what we're trying to accomplish, but has a different way of saying it. She's agreed to throw her soft toss or whatever else when I'm not there, but she said she's just going to keep her mouth shut. HA!!!! We'll see how that works out. Either way, DW agreed that she just can't keep practicing the same swing. She does know what to look for, so we just have to get on the same page terminology wise.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Yeah, there were some tears involved cause she got dad in trouble (she didn't mean to). DW understands what we're trying to accomplish, but has a different way of saying it. She's agreed to throw her soft toss or whatever else when I'm not there, but she said she's just going to keep her mouth shut. HA!!!! We'll see how that works out. Either way, DW agreed that she just can't keep practicing the same swing. She does know what to look for, so we just have to get on the same page terminology wise.

It sounds to me like you and your DW are on the right track. Getting consistent with cues and terminology will be a big help for your DD.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Nobody told her to do that. Along the way, she has picked herself apart. She was just standing still and then trying to load and swing at the same time. She went ofer her last tournament because she couldn't catch up to anything. Some idiot told her to get loaded up, and she took it to heart. Like I said, a lot of work, and we know it.

Listen to the instruction being given .....

May 1, 2011
Ahhhh....that would be one of the dad's that helps out at practice that was sitting right there with me. He is the aforementioned idiot!!! I always do the video editing with the sound off, so I never caught that. May have to change my process on that. Sorry for the bad information there.

Josh

Aug 28, 2012
Ahhhh....that would be one of the dad's that helps out at practice that was sitting right there with me. He is the aforementioned idiot!!! I always do the video editing with the sound off, so I never caught that. May have to change my process on that. Sorry for the bad information there.

Josh

Don't sweat it Cobra. I'm guessing that 99% of those who actually read what you were trying to say, put 2 and 2 together and figured it out. Those that didn't, or couldn't, took the time to mash up a cute little video to prove his off the mark point that no one cared about besides him anyway. Part of learning how to best utilize the awesome resources of the hitting boards is learning who to put on ignore. (tip: if you get logged out, your ignore lists obviously don't work). Noontime.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Noon ... the comment was not "off the mark" ... it was spot on. In stark contrast to her earlier swings, she was loading way early ... and that was the instruction she was receiving. Coincidence? Maybe ... maybe not.

May 1, 2011
I know what I forgot to ask now. I mentioned that the ball doesn't seem like it's jumping off of her bat the way it used to. Is the slicing vs. extension going to play a big role in that? I'm a golfer, and I know that at a younger age, once I learned how to get rid of MY slice, I started hitting the ball much further. Does the same apply here? I would think that it would considering it's more of glancing blow, rather than powering through. I saw this kid over a year ago hit some 1 hoppers to the wall, but nothing with that much heat on it in quite some time.

Josh

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I know what I forgot to ask now. I mentioned that the ball doesn't seem like it's jumping off of her bat the way it used to. Is the slicing vs. extension going to play a big role in that? I'm a golfer, and I know that at a younger age, once I learned how to get rid of MY slice, I started hitting the ball much further. Does the same apply here? I would think that it would considering it's more of glancing blow, rather than powering through. I saw this kid over a year ago hit some 1 hoppers to the wall, but nothing with that much heat on it in quite some time.

Josh

Yes, correcting the slicing, and seeing more extension, will result in more power.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207