Stalling For the Win

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
At younger ages there are different rules that are applied to help everyone get playing time can understand wanting to try to have a fair experience for both teams.

Beyond that getting into playing to win,
There is always the opportunity to control the 'pace' of the game as a strategy.

When there is a time limit on a game,
those same strategies can include controlling 'time' is another purpose.

With rules like revert back. And teams not getting their full at bats. Which is a peculiar rule in itself,
Controlling the clock can make sense.

Solution if it bothers anyone to control the clock ...
Play Seven Innings don't have to worry about the clock.
Otherwise the clock becomes important just as it does in other Sports where the clock ends play.
Like Basketball football soccer.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
At younger ages there are different rules that are applied to help everyone get playing time can understand wanting to try to have a fair experience for both teams.

Beyond that getting into playing to win,
There is always the opportunity to control the 'pace' of the game as a strategy.

When there is a time limit on a game,
those same strategies can include controlling 'time' is another purpose.

With rules like revert back. And teams not getting their full at bats. Which is a peculiar rule in itself,
Controlling the clock can make sense.

Solution if it bothers anyone to control the clock ...
Play Seven Innings don't have to worry about the clock.
Otherwise the clock becomes important just as it does in other Sports where the clock ends play.
Like Basketball football soccer.
I do not think any of those sports have a revert back factor.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I do not think any of those sports have a revert back factor.
They have a time clock tho.
That is part of the parameters of those sports. Which softball doesn't always have but sometimes does.

The *example of revert back is a dorky rule adjustment to a time clock.
??? Don't know of any other sports that have that kind of dorky! 🙈🙉🙊

May 24, 2013
So Cal
When a clock is introduced to a sport not designed to have a clock, time management becomes a factor. While I admire your approach of sticking to the "proper" progress of the game, I'm not sure I would have done the same. Especially since the opposing coach applied some time management tactics to his team's advantage, I probably would have played that game, as well. Having the chance for a my lesser team to knock off the big dog in the league can be a pretty exciting experience for the players, and can become a fun "remember when" memory.

May 16, 2016
When ahead by a small margin, I am not above stretching an inning (within limits) to run out the clock, and prevent the other team from getting an extra inning.

This situation, you are behind, and stalling so you can revert to previous inning, while it may technically be a W, it won't feel like a W, I'd probably just play that game out and hope for the best.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
All of this is true, but what other sport/activity reverts to some point in the past if a team manages to run the clock out?

Oh! The Packers had the ball on offense one more time than the Cowboys did, so we are going to erase the go-ahead TD they scored on their last possession and revert to a Cowboy win.......

Football/basketball/soccer/all the other sports were built around a time clock so when the time runs out that is 'baked into the cake'.

Softball/baseball/cricket/golf were designed around a set number of chances (innings, holes). I understand the need to try to get as many games in as possible, but the time and end the inning is the way that preserves the spirit of the game, if a clock NEEDS to be introduced.

Jan 25, 2022
I hear this a lot but the 10-year-olds I coach do understand who wins and who loses. We do in fact keep score during the games.

So while winning isn't everything at 10u, it's something.

Agreed. Winning games builds confidence, pride, and a desire to KEEP winning games. It doesn't matter what level of play it is. Is it necessary to do that for super young kids? No. Their attention span is short. By 10u, they should have a competitive spirit though. There's SO much value in confidence.

In that instance, I don't know what I would have done, honestly. If it was a tournament, I would have taken advantage of the rule. It's not just doing it for a win--it's teaching the kids strategy within the rules. It's not like they're learning to cheat. There are all sorts of ways to take advantage of the rules in softball, and every other game.

Drop dead is dumb though. Don't hate the player...hate the game, right?

radness

Dec 13, 2019

There may be people who think that controlling the clock is the wrong thing to do. But when there is a clock,
the clock is controlling the game anyway!

While there are a lot of things that we cannot control during the game.
like the strikezone...and player abilities,
There will be coaches who are going to control the clock. If you choose not to control the clock when you can. Either the game clock or the other team will control part of the outcome of your game.

Oct 4, 2018
SINCE he stepped off, I in turn would have stalled and got the W.

That's a pretty solid point.

I hate stall tactics, especially in a game that wasn't supposed to ever have a timer.

I will only advocate for it if the other team does it first.

Caveat: I'm all for taking first strike and other "part of the game" strategies. It's the shoe-tying, fake injury, switch pitcher when you wouldn't have otherwise, excessive times outs that bug me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00