Spin

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
I agree with everything but the last paragraph. I see HE and bowling as two separate problems. I believe one can have IR and HE. I also believe it possible to bowl, but have a decent follow through.

I understand what you are saying but think about it, once the ball is gone from the hand it does not matter what the arm does, it cannot affect the ball. So when I say "upstream" I mean that getting into the proper position into release is critical to maximizing spin and velocity. I don't care where the arm and hand ends up after release as long as its finishes "naturally" somewhere in front of the body and is not forced into a position (like HE). Said another way, to get into the dreaded HE position you are actually affecting the arm whip (or lack of arm whip) prior to release thereby killing some IR upstream. In my DDs case her first PC taught push the ball down the circle and finish HE which obviously kills arm whip. Try it for yourself. If you are using good IR with palm to the sky at 3:00 and have the arm and hand internally rotating into the release, it's impossible to get into a HE position without forcing it into that position. That forced action starts taking place prior to release. That is why I advocate a long, loose and natural finish so it does not affect upstream mechanics.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Try it for yourself. If you are using good IR with palm to the sky at 3:00 and have the arm and hand internally rotating into the release, it's impossible to get into a HE position without forcing it into that position.
I think someone can IR with good whip and go into a forced HE (for no apparent reason,) but not convinced it has a huge affect on the delivery. Here's what I mean:

My favorite is at the 1:00 mark.

Dec 7, 2011
Great feedback from y’all.

There was a subtlety that I was trying to convey but failed.

Let me put it this way:

I know of a VERY good pitcher in our area here, that has been trained heavily in the “IR arts”, that is verbally committed to a BIG D1, that it appears cannot grasp the concept of a RB. Her upper 60’s FB is the most amazing drop I have ever seen for that matter of fact. But it appears that this DB effect is “locked” into her motion. (but man it is a beautifully effortless motion to watch though…..)

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I know of a VERY good pitcher in our area here, that has been trained heavily in the “IR arts”, that is verbally committed to a BIG D1, that it appears cannot grasp the concept of a RB. Her upper 60’s FB is the most amazing drop I have ever seen for that matter of fact. But it appears that this DB effect is “locked” into her motion. (but man it is a beautifully effortless motion to watch though…..)
See if you can get permission to post video of her drop ball! We are working on that one too!

Aug 21, 2008
Great post!
I know he never comes on anymore but, "CoachFP" is Larry Hineline, head coach at Morgan St. in downtown Baltimore. Those who can remember the 2021 NCAA, his team won conference and got sent to Oklahoma for their regional. Then lost to Texas Tech or A&M? idk. Anyway, Larry is a good friend, and the Morgan St. job, believe it or not, is only a part time job. That D1 school doesn't even have softball coaches on staff full time.

When I was with Providence, I talked our coach into an early March tournament at Morgan St. Unfortunately it snowed the night before and we didn't get to play. But when we showed up in the morning to see field conditions... the Morgan st. campus and field are about 2 blocks away from where HBO filmed "The Wire". Not a joke. And that's me saying, not Joe Biden saying his stuff: not a joke! lol.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I know he never comes on anymore but, "CoachFP" is Larry Hineline, head coach at Morgan St. in downtown Baltimore. Those who can remember the 2021 NCAA, his team won conference and got sent to Oklahoma for their regional. Then lost to Texas Tech or A&M? idk. Anyway, Larry is a good friend, and the Morgan St. job, believe it or not, is only a part time job. That D1 school doesn't even have softball coaches on staff full time.

When I was with Providence, I talked our coach into an early March tournament at Morgan St. Unfortunately it snowed the night before and we didn't get to play. But when we showed up in the morning to see field conditions... the Morgan st. campus and field are about 2 blocks away from where HBO filmed "The Wire". Not a joke. And that's me saying, not Joe Biden saying his stuff: not a joke! lol.
I really appreciated Larry’s perspective on pitching and pitching mechanics. A handful of PM’s led to an even deeper respect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl