Speed v. Location

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
With young pitchers, it would seem that proper mechanics and speed is critical before one worries about location. My DD has been working with a PC this season and I don't remember the instructor ever mentioning the word "strike" which I believe is the correct way to teach the windmill pitch. I see many young pitchers who "guide" the ball over the plate to get a strike but if you catch them, there is very little rotation of the ball and no speed which to me means there is no wrist snap, etc.

Sep 11, 2009
Mesa Arizona
I always stress location before speed in young pitchers. If the mechanics are taught correctly at a younger age the speed and movement come later. If speed is taught earlier in the development stage then they may be sacrificing mechanics that have to be relearned at a later age.

My dd is on a 14u team and we have been in the club scene for 4 years now and I've seen about every pitcher there is in our level. In the earlier years they threw for speed, of course a lot of girls couldn't hit it. With the development of the hitting, those same girls who was striking girls out left and right can't get a strike out to save their lives. I blame the mechanics learned at an early age, and also the type of pitches being learned. I'm a firm believer that a 10 year old shouldn't be learning a rise, curve, and screw. IMHO

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Interesting. When you say ""sacrificing mechanics that have to be relearned.." I'm not sure what you mean? It would seem that if a girl is taught correct technique (straight arm, wrist snap, elbow finishing up towards the catcher, etc..), there is no way that she has a slow pitch. With my 7 YO, I don't know how I could possibly have her throw "strikes" without considerably slowing down the swinging of the arm; bent at elbow, with no wrist snap and "guiding" the pitch over the plate? My philosophy right now is that I don't care if she can or cannot throw a strike as long as she has proper rotation of the ball, foot work, etc.

Sep 11, 2009
Mesa Arizona
What I mean by relearning is that a lot of young pitchers like to lean forward on release to gain speed, also they like to really rotate the shoulders before the release to get speed. You also have to be careful with having straight arm all the way through the pitch. You do want the elbow to lead on the down swing prior to release. Read the Internal rotation thread on this site to get a feel for what others are about to tell you. Also focus on legs as well, that's where alot of the speed your looking for will come from. Also be carful with how you tell her to do the wrist snap, it could actually take away speed if she is doing it incorrectly. If I remember correctly there was a thread about that as well.

A softbal pitch begins with great mechanics, the speed comes from all the mechanics working together. Now if she happens to be tall, and happens to be strong, that is an added bonus. I would definetly begin by reading the Internal Rotation thread, It opened my eyes to alot of new things I never new about pitching. My dd went from throwing 45 to 48 to 55 to 58 within a matter of months. Oh and she has very good control, can locate on all 4 corners.

Attachments

• 3 o'clock.jpg
    3 o'clock.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 12 o'clock.jpg
    12 o'clock.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 9 o'clock.jpg
    9 o'clock.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 6 o'clock.jpg
    6 o'clock.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 27
May 12, 2008
Trying the wrong way to throw hard is a problem sure. But speed should be encouraged. It's a skill to work on just like any other. Regular long toss comes to mind. Learning control/command at moderate speed is one skill. Learning it with the pedal pushed farther down is another skill. Learn to use the body maximally. Then learn to command that. This is a long term view. Certainly in the short term, moderate effort with command is more effective.

Attachments

• finch-at-9.JPG
    finch-at-9.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 6
Sep 11, 2009
Mesa Arizona
Regular Long toss is a great thing, I still have my dd do that, It does definetly give her more speed. Long story short, work on both, speed and control. She will be better for it in the long run.

Sep 11, 2009
Mesa Arizona
There is also the sock drill, put a softball in a sock and swing it just like she is pitching. It forces the shoulder to speed up to keep up with the ball. I also like the sprinter start, where the pitcher is in the sprinter start, and get low, tell her to go and push off that drive leg and then throw the ball. Once again have her keep her mechanics. Both of these drills can help with speed and mechanics if done properly. Also, there are definetly better skilled coaches on this thread. I'm just giving my opinion on the situation.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
And when you say long toss, I assume you mean keep backing up, say 3 feet, at regular intervals (i.e. throw say 10 pitches, move a little farther back), until she is bouncing the ball in front of the C. and then reverse the sequence so she slowly comes back to her normal pitching distance (30ft). I have heard this is a great drill. Is there any concern a) that mechanics breakdown because DD is trying to overthrow to reach the longer distance and b) to reach the longer distance, the pitch will start up at a little higher arc, when she goes to her normal distance, the ball will reach the C up above strike zone?

Sep 11, 2009
Mesa Arizona
You actually need to stress same release point and try and keep her throwing line drives. When it starts to arc, she is then changing release point to get the ball to you. Have her get to the point just before arc and then move back up. The less arc the better.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Good point, so maybe increase distance very gradually so mechanics and release point stay the same. I'll also check out some of the other threads you mentioned and sock drill. In your opinion, over the next couple of years are the following stages in order of learning appropriate: 1) proper mechanics 2) general location 3) speed 4) fastball strike at 75% of time 4) specific location (strikes to four corners location) 5) introduce and perfect change-up 6) other pitches (but only "master" 1 or 2 more)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1