Softballs for rec league and travel tournaments, advice wanted.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 27, 2012
Just finished up a league board meeting, and we were discussing equipment needs for the coming season. We've had varying success with the balls we have used over the last few years and was hoping to get some input from others.
Last year we spent about $35 per dozen for use during the recreation season and $52 per dozen for the travel tournaments we hosted. We've had some issues with balls splitting very early on, etc.
The league and tournaments go from ages 9 - 18.
We would considered different balls for the 10U and 12U tournaments versus 14U and 16U if members have recommendations.
Thanks!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
You need to check the rule book to find out what balls are legal for play in the leagues you are hosting. Most TB tournaments require an ASA stamp on the balls. I believe the current specs are for a 375 lb compression,core .44. Our pitchers prefer balls with real leather covers vs. synthetic. Stay away from the cheap Adidas balls, as they wear out quickly, and will become oblong after a couple of weeks of practice.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Just a quick bit of advice here. The old saying..."you get what you pay for", usually holds very true for softballs. The cheaper you go, the quality and materials used is just that...cheap. Don't by Sports Authority/Dicks junk if you know what I mean. Stay with real ball manufacturers.
Usually balls are made with 3 types of covers (not all types of ball have all three type options, some balls only are produced with one cover or only two). You of course have leather, then a very decent synthetic and then a cheaper synco cover. Its all what you are looking to accomplish. Leather is the best, but most expensive. By your price...sounds like you went leather with the 52 dollar per dozen you said you paid for tournament balls. If this 52 per dozen ball was a synthetic cover, you got taken big time.

My advice is, there are many stores that do only one time ball purchases in the very beginning of the year. That's because, if a store buys so many, they get bigger discounts and shipping is free (which is very expensive on balls). But you need the money to pay for all the balls you order for the entire year right when they come in. For example, I bought about 1000 dozen balls last Feb for all the slowpitch/fastpitch/baseball directors and league guys in my tri-state area that wanted to buy thru me. I was getting the balls for between 5 and 10 bucks less per dozen than I could have during the season if I only ordered like a dozen for somebody. Also, shipping would have been like $500 for those balls, that was free since I ordered so much. That's more savings that can be passed along to the customer.

If you want best savings, hookup with a group early and buy what you need for the year for best prices.

As for ball, I sold a ton of the Worth Dream Seams.

Sorry if this post was too long and answered way more than you wanted

Jan 19, 2013
California
We have consistently purchased two brands for our league and when I saw what our league spent, I nearly fell over. I did some homework and then I decided to ask my pitchers what they preferred: Wilson A9060's. I emailed the local ASA to see what we'd be using for tournament this year so I could buy in bulk and try to nab some savings by ordering all at once. The Dudley's CFP12Y 43865 didn't hold up as well as the Wilsons due to the fog and rain here. The A9060's have held up, they are very expensive, but we pick them up for 56/dz no shipping through a local store who sells them to all the high schools. That being said, is there any way to cut costs here?!

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
We have consistently purchased two brands for our league and when I saw what our league spent, I nearly fell over. I did some homework and then I decided to ask my pitchers what they preferred: Wilson A9060's. I emailed the local ASA to see what we'd be using for tournament this year so I could buy in bulk and try to nab some savings by ordering all at once. The Dudley's CFP12Y 43865 didn't hold up as well as the Wilsons due to the fog and rain here. The A9060's have held up, they are very expensive, but we pick them up for 56/dz no shipping through a local store who sells them to all the high schools. That being said, is there any way to cut costs here?!

56/dozen is insane for that ball. The leather Worth Dream Seams are a better ball and at worst was 5 bucks per dozen cheaper. That store made out good on your school and whoever else was told to buy from there. And from what I have learned, most schools and org's get taken advantage of because there are always "friends" in the org or school that are willing to "hook" people up...but they are just making money because nobody shops around at that point because they were told this person is the guy that helps everybody...haha. This person knows he doesn't have to compete with any prices because people go there no matter what.
I have witnessed it big time with uniforms also. Schools or Org's have their uniform person, whether it be a parent or whatever, and every time a uni is made, it goes thru that person and nothing is disputed. A price comes in and that's what it is, then fundraising starts or the parents pay whatever it is. I have seen uniforms that should be half of what was paid.

As for saving money with the balls. I would contact a state director of whatever association ball you need. Whether it be an ASA or USSSA ball. They run tournys and buy a ton of balls. Inquire where he buys balls from and see if you can order with him. It might be beneficial for him also to order more. Might be more savings for him also. It also doesnt have to be just FP either. You could even call the local director for slowpitch in your area and inquire where he gets balls and maybe jump on with his order. If you buy enough balls, this could save you hundreds.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2012
I appreciate all those that have commented so far, and I will pass along the information. Not sure when we will be ordering, but welcome anyone's additional opinions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06