Softball tackle? and the recovery.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 6, 2013
IDT

Watching this just makes my heart and head hurt. Haley was looking straight up at the pop up. Technically being the higher number position it was her play as her coaches have always taught her. I just don't understand why any runner would try and make that much contact on a play since they are risking their wellbeing as well. What really blew my mind is that the umpires had to get together to determine if this was interference. Haley is as tough as they come - she was crying the rest of game after this hit which she doesn't normally do.

This happened on Thursday - she wasn't able to play defense Friday as she still had pain and her hitting was also off. However Saturday she came back with a vengeance just in time for bracket play. We were down 4-1 in our first game and she hit a 3 run home run oppo on a rise ball to tie the game - then her next at bat she hit another home run to seal the deal. Then her next game she hit an absolutely laser liner home run off of a very talented and very fast Boise State commit - she said she was one of the fastest pitchers she has ever seen. She actually almost had another oppo on her next AB but the right fielder sprinted and laid out catching the ball as she fell over the temp fence.

May 29, 2015
Video is private ... Glad to hear she is OK!

Since I can't see it, I can't comment directly on it. One of the toughest things to master as an umpire is actually seeing what happens, not the after-effects, and being able to administer the call based on what happened and not the outcome. This is true for umpires who "call the mitt" and especially true in collisions. Many novice umpires tend to jump to the "who lost the collision" side. Many tentative umpires will err on "no call" so they don't make "the wrong call."

Even in MLB, fractions of a second matter and our eyes will deceive us. This just happened and I don't like the final call, but by MLB's interpretation of the letter of the law it was correct.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
If a player trucks another player camping under an infield pop up, that trucker should be kicked out of the game for malicious contact and if the coach dares to come out and argue the call, he's going too.
The play at first base where the 1st baseman is drawn into the base path is a tough call and I like players that see the situation and decides to dive or slide into 1st base.

May 16, 2016
Illinois

Since I can't see it, I can't comment directly on it. One of the toughest things to master as an umpire is actually seeing what happens, not the after-effects, and being able to administer the call based on what happened and not the outcome. This is true for umpires who "call the mitt" and especially true in collisions. Many novice umpires tend to jump to the "who lost the collision" side. Many tentative umpires will err on "no call" so they don't make "the wrong call."

Even in MLB, fractions of a second matter and our eyes will deceive us. This just happened and I don't like the final call, but by MLB's interpretation of the letter of the law it was correct.

I think they botched the reversal in that video. IMO, that runner certainly hindered the 3rd baseman from fielding that ball.

To the OP. You need to fix the YT video. No one can see anything since it is Private.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

Ove had to eject a player in a D1 basketball game who had his head split open when he basically ran under and 'tunneled' a player in the air and caught a knee right to the forehead. That was a fun one.

Aug 6, 2013
Sorry I thought if I made it private and shared the link it would work. Try this one - I just moved it to unlisted.

Aug 6, 2013

I updated the video - I'm thinking there isn't a whole lot to interpret in this - she ran inside the baseline and put her arms up before contact so she definitely saw what she was running into.

Jun 8, 2016
I updated the video - I'm thinking there isn't a whole lot to interpret in this - she ran inside the baseline and put her arms up before contact so she definitely saw what she was running into.
I hope your kid is ok but to the point of her doing it on purpose (which it seems like you are implying), I don't think that is what happened. Most every RH batter runs inside the runner's lane for the first 20 ft (I don't think it even starts till 30 ft) or so and it looked like she was running with her head down until the last second when it was too late and she put her hands up as a reaction. Just an unfortunate accident.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Runner is well inside the line in fair territory and it looks malicious to me. I am tossing her. One word from coach and he is gone too. Might even ask TD if she should be suspended for her next game too. Who teaches this crap?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles