Softball mom

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 8, 2014
I just volunteered to be my the softball mom of my daughters travel ball team. What exactly does it entail? I don't mind helping out, I just wanted to understand what I had volunteered for before the team starts playing in tournaments.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
"Softball mom" can mean different things to different teams. My suggestion would be to talk with the the HC and ask what you can do to help. At the younger age groups one of the primary responsibilities on our team was coordinating snacks for tournaments.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Wife has 'mommed' all the soccer teams my kids have been on. She tried to take care of all the administration and let the coach just coach. She coordinated practices than reserved space, ran fundraisers, scheduled make up games, scheduled treats, made dinner reservations and booked hotel blocks, sent game reminders and directions...etc.

She went to the upper extreme of duties, but always wanted things organized and parents informed. Every time the kids got a new coach she would tell him what she will do. Almost all of them felt like she was going to be over controlling and said they would take care of it. Every single one only took a week or two before they forgot something or realized they are overwelmed and appreciate that she will take care of it all.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
For our rec league, the "team parent" usually handles collection of any paperwork or payments, and coordination of team activities (except practices and games). My suggestion is to get with the HC of the team and find out what their expectations are, and use that as a starting place.

Jan 25, 2011
OILF, I'm a SOFTBALL DAD. So do you think any less of me or should I keep the title softball mom? Maybe some day,I can break thru your glass ceiling and be treated as an equal.

Last edited:
May 4, 2014
So Cal
No offense to all the "managers" out there but a team without a good "team mom" is worthless... it is a key role in any team regardless of TB or REC... they basically manage the manager and ensure the machine is well oiled outside of the field... from "team building" events, fund management, team communication, scheduling, transportation, team shrink, bathroom police, to ensuring kids arent lost (or found)....

Find me a great manager and Ill show you a great team mom behind them (and MOM can be DAD just like MANAGER can be a SHE/HE)

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
No offense to all the "managers" out there but a team without a good "team mom" is worthless... it is a key role in any team regardless of TB or REC... they basically manage the manager and ensure the machine is well oiled outside of the field... from "team building" events, fund management, team communication, scheduling, transportation, team shrink, bathroom police, to ensuring kids arent lost (or found)....

Find me a great manager and Ill show you a great team mom behind them (and MOM can be DAD just like MANAGER can be a SHE/HE)

Yep agreed. That why I fired my team mom. Aka warriormikes wife! Lol

Jun 1, 2013
You can shape the position yourself, and to be a good role model, I would change the term from softball mom to something that relates to a position (ie, are there Softball DADS out there or are they coaches and managers). If it is just for morale support of the girls, parents; simply hanging around until players are picked up to make sure they are safe, or taking young female players to the restroom (don't laugh, I have read this in descriptions of the job), then change the position to one that fits today.

I have no issue if this position handles admin or other work, like collecting contact information, supporting the team Website, helping person the snack bar, arranging snacks for the players, interacting with parents for necessary team reasons, or ordering uniforms. But get a real title that befits those important duties.

We need to let the players know there are other avenues out there 'in addition to'. Moms are important, but team roles need to be real roles that any parent, male or female, can do.

A title does not make you a good role model. Changing the name of your title doesn't make you a good role model. What you do in your position does. Team mom's are valuable, and everyone in tournament ball knows that. Therein lies the rub though, you are a HS fanatic.
OP, not sure what your team will ask of you but I have 2 team moms. Their duties include reservations, snacks, fundraisers, checking account, uniform ordering, books, rides, room mom (in case someone's parents can't make it on any particular weekend, trips to Walmart for whatever happens, pain reliever for injuries, sickness, or monthlies, along with hair ties, bows, and every other girlie thing you can think of. My team moms are awesome and dependable, proud I have them. They like their "team mom" title and they don't think it is sexist or demeaning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oconnell.patrick