So, who's responsible?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
I called two games this morning, 8am start. It was lightly raining when I got to the field, and the field was wet. It was a 10U game, so I was by myself, but I did confer with the umpire on next field, my coaches, and his coaches. There was worry about girls getting hurt slipping on bases or on a wet outfield, or muddy slide home (always a hole in right batter box). The final consensus is that the coaches wanted to play, so we did, two games until the tournament was called when it starting raining more.
Thankfully, nobody was hurt, Now, if someone did get hurt, who would be responsible?...The Umpires, the coaches, or the tournament director for not canceling when the forecast was for rain the whole day?
Also, what would you do as a parent if your DD got hurt in a rain game like this?......Would you look to hold someone responsible, or would you say "dem da breaks" (pun intended)?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I don't know the answer to that but I was once involved in a similar lawsuit. I was a Recreation Director then. (Yes, I've done just about every job in America.) The suit was that there was a huge hole in the batter's box before a slow pitch softball game started, the umpire did not have it fixed and a guy tore his knee up sliding into home. The suit was for $5 million dollars. Long story short, the guy lost the suit since I could produce work orders for that date demonstrating maintenance on that diamond and could provide a history of the maintenance. The Umpire also stated in testimony that there was not a hole there when the game started.

May 23, 2015
Rest assured that if it comes to a lawsuit everyone involved will be shot at. Rightfully and unrightfully so.

On a ballfield (not sure about liability) the umpire is the field manager and in charge. Ive seen a lot of umpires pull the plug despite the tournament directors wishes

Jun 16, 2010
We always played in rain if playable
But lightning stopped a few.

including a super regional we were winning, and probably change the outcome of that. Their number one came back fresh to pitch the next day and we ended up not winning.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD was in a game were the batter-runner was being caught by the coaches at 1st slipping off the base. Total illegal, nothing called.

Sanity prevailed, a little late in my option, and game was called.

DD and us have the right to pull her at any time we feel uncomfortable, so I think it is on the parents.

Never would go after umpire. Organization maybe.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Umpire is in charge of field safety, so the buck stops there.

I'd never sue if my child was accidentally hurt, but I'm guessing many would and I'm guessing they are suing the ump, coaches, organization, and TD and sponsoring organization. They wouldn't win ALL of those, but if you throw enough shirt at the wall some might stick.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I was once told by an umpire years ago the 'Secret' phrase is, "I'm concerned for the safety of my players and wish to withdraw them from the field of play." I did that last weekend during a similar situation. Turned out that after I pulled them, it never stopped raining and the day was a washout.

Any tournament director will push to play because ultimately, tournaments are moneymakers/fundraisers and they don't want to refund money if they can possibly avoid it. Thus, they're going to try and pressure the umpires (to a limited degree) to play as long as they believe it is safe.

The coaches are relying on the umpires' judgement as well. If they think their judgement is in error, they have the right to pull them from the field of play, much as I did last weekend.

Who's responsibility is it? Anyone in a position of authority that has anything to do with that game.

Who will be sued? See the above answer.

In the future, I would suggest you ask yourself these questions before starting the game given a similar situation.

Personally, as a coach, I feel that no game is worth the safety and health of my players and make no mistake about it, softball is still a game and nothing more.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
For 10u and under I guess. Anything older than that it should be on the coaches.
If there were perhaps say a set of photos with rain/vs./slight moisture vs...
We could comment to this in better detail.
Morning dampness has a wet lawn.
Ball can get wet. Cleats slip.
Fog is another dampness issue that can have visual limitations with dampness.
Teams tend to play in those conditions anyway.

As for raining and bases dripping.
Home plate glossed with water.
And ball needs to be wiped down after each pitch.
Surface mud forming.
Time to stop.

Unfortunetly not all coaches utilize common sense safety over we have to play ego.
For that reason, especially when older players recognize potential hazard, speaking up and being smart to stop,
can over-ride a haphazard idiot coach.

Not certain who had ultimate authority on stopping games.
Have seen both tourny director and umpires stop games.
Have also experienced players congregating befor running back on the field saying
" are we really going to continue"
Usually prompts the game stopping.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mbatistejr