Size of players relative to performance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 30, 2013
I would say its more size per position more than just size it's self. I know my DD is a SS and 5'4" tall and most mid to top D1 schools wont even look at her because of her size although there are a few Mid to small D1's looking at her even though she plays bigger than she is. I have been told by numerous coaches just my .02

That size per position paradigm is one of the most ridiculous things about baseball as well. The thing that makes it ridiculous, is that all those coaches who adhere to it know darn well its ridiculous, and only think that way because they don’t have the intestinal fortitude to go against “standard” thinking.

I think its pretty darn stupid for any coach to exclude any player who can get the job done, unless s/he has other players in the fold who can get it done better. Unfortunately, baseball and softball are sports driven just as much by “appearance” and “dogma” as skill.

There are many stories in baseball about pitchers who are diminutive but extremely successful in HS that don’t even get a look by colleges or the pros, and I’m sure the same thing happens in SB. The thing is, those pitchers aren’t getting the job done by luck, which means they already possess the skills needed for success. Supposedly “smarter” coaches would rather take a chance on a pitcher who doesn’t possess those skills just because they’re “bigger”. Think about that and try to figure out what sense it makes? ;)

Sep 30, 2013
I'd take the smaller girl with the heart, competitive spirit, natural athletic ability and great game savvy over the bigger girl who can hit the ball a ton any day. As long as their defense is solid, they can be taught to bunt or slap their way on base. Long ball isn't the only way to win in FPSB.

What you seem to be saying is, you prefer to look at overall performance rather than some physical characteristic or one particular ability. I concur, and that’s why I believe the best thing for everyone is for coaches to make sure there are numbers for performance, and that those numbers are as valid as possible.

May 27, 2013
I guess what I don't quite understand is how size would be considered a determining factor for a girl to make a team over another if all other aspects of two girls playing the same position are similar? Can anyone explain to me how being taller/thicker would help girls in the field other than at first base/pitcher? First base I can definitely understand because it's easier for a taller girl to reach and grab an errant throw above the head or to the side. Pitcher I can understand because a longer stride can get you closer to the plate as well as provide a better lever for whip. However, how would size make a player better at the other positions if all else was equal?

Jul 26, 2010
When a coach gets thousands of applicants for one or two positions and all of those applicants have shown to have good ability, using statistics to narrow down the decision making process is sound and prudent. There are far more baseball applicants then there are softball applicants, but it is easy to see why height is used in the process. It really isn't personal.

-W

Sep 30, 2013
You cannot "coach up" size or speed, so those are two physical characteristics that will always be sought out by college coaches.

Maybe this will help understand where I’m coming from.

Yes, those things will likely always be sought out by college and pro scouts. But that’s because there’s going to be $$$$$$ in some form riding on the decision, and it will always be easier to justify a choice if those things were present. But on an 8 YO rec team, does it matter?

Feb 1, 2012
NJ
Scorekeeper.

On an 8yo rec team I don't think size matters that much. Size of the HEART in a player does. But if you are a top level D-1 coach looking at hundreds of players all with equil ability to fill a small number of spots sooner or later size comes into the mix.

Nov 18, 2013
The underlying theme seems to be "She's not that good, she's just tall". Sigh, hear it all the time.

Sep 30, 2013
Scorekeeper.

On an 8yo rec team I don't think size matters that much. Size of the HEART in a player does. But if you are a top level D-1 coach looking at hundreds of players all with equil ability to fill a small number of spots sooner or later size comes into the mix.

I AGREE! It probably doesn’t happen in more than a very small percentage of the time. But the problem is, when you’re talking in terms of hundreds of thousands of players and tens of thousands of coaches, even a small percentage is a pretty fair sized number. ;)

And remember this. Almost all SB and BB players start in a rec environment, not a select/travel environment. So, if there’s even a small amount of bias in that environment, it will ripple through the entire game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug