Hit the Back of the Cage? I Don’t Think So

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
As a certified NON-guru, I don't know nearly as much about hitting as I'd like, but having a plan in the box is definitely something I'm a big fan of, and don't think enough coaches teach. "Hit ground balls and pray for errors" isn't a plan.
I hear you and agree about having a plan in the box, but the 'plan' I was talking about was making practice swings count, ie, be working on something even when it's just you, the Bownet and pregame warmups.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Just out of curiosity how do you actually use this information? If you are seeing too much bad contact during BP do you go
and video her (if you are not already) and see what is going on??
I haven't videoed her in a while but I should. Grading her own swing gives her a goal to strive for and feedback to improve. Sometimes I override her grading. LOL. The top of the cage we use is probably close to 20 ft high so a ball batted to the top of the back of the cage is a great launch. When she has another friend there we will play a game. Five swings each and I grade each swing. High score wins. They have to work on the math skills too. A little competition keeps them interested. Forty is a good score. Very few 10s handed out.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"Next time you are at a tournament, walk around and watch all the players hitting down angle balls into nets off tees and side toss. It drives me nuts. They are practicing hitting choppers. "

It makes me sick to my stomach. Especially when a TB coach is instructing them with "top of the ball or level swing or more top hand". Game is hard enough without bad coaching.

Spoke to a coach over the phone about possibly having DD tryout/guest for his team. I knew his team was playing and so I strolled past his pregame warm ups. A coach was using a bownet and soft / side tossing the hitter. He was doing a rapid fire drill where he was feeding the next as soon as she made contact with the prior ball. Hitter was frailing away and even missed the bownet a couple times. I saw no value and eliminated that team as a possibility. Quality swings over quantity. And I agree with Rich K 100% "be working on something even when it's just you, the Bownet and pregame warmups. "

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802