Simple question about pitch locations.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
Was working with DD over the weekend. One thing we are really working on is pitch location. Yesterday, she asked what is probably a simple question, but had me stumped.

She asked, "How do I throw to a certain spot?" Now, when I throw to a spot, I just throw to a spot. I really don't know how to verbalize it. I realize high and low has to do with release point, but what about left and right.

Can anyone help me give an answer to this?

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
I'm sure BoardMember or Sluggers will have a much more technical answer, but when DD first started pitching she was told (remember this is for a fastball and an 8 year old) that the pitch generally will go where the front foot is pointing after landing.

So - all things considered and assuming (I know :rolleyes: ) a constant release point - when the front foot lands on the power line the ball should go straight down the middle...left of the power line, it should go left...etc.

Good luck...:cool:

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Coach I know over in Tampa used to say you don't throw to spots, you throw the ball in lanes to a certain height. Visualize the path of the ball down the lane finishing at the desired height.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
Coach I know over in Tampa used to say you don't throw to spots, you throw the ball in lanes to a certain height. Visualize the path of the ball down the lane finishing at the desired height.

That's kind of what I do. I can throw pretty accurate over hand. I really don't know how to put into words how I do it other than to say I visualize where I want the ball to go and throw it.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Amazing how that works. I have helped quite a few pitchers by getting them to relax, slow the tempo, and visualize each pitch. Can make a difference very quickly.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
"Lanes" is a good term, we use to call them "alleys" as to picture walls on each side........to visualize the only path. NMS is also correct, overhand throws to a target and their "design" hold true to placing a pitch in a desired location.

One of the many games DD and I played in the front yard was "target". Overhand throws where she/I would hold our glove up, the thrower had to hit the pocket without the other moving their glove. 2 points if you hit the target, -1 if you didn't, play to like 25-30. As a pitcher I believe repetitive physical mechanics along with a visional ability to "comprehend" what it takes to go from point A to B, helps a ton to hit a location.

We would also play the game when she pitched underhand, unfortunately I never won that version. :( I truly suck pitching underhand.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
IMHO, you and her should forget about "throwing to a sport" and instead learn how to move the ball left, right, up and down.

Umpires in softball do not have a perfect strike zone. E.g., the "outside edge" of the strike zone varies from umpire to umpire. Suppose your DD learn to throw it over the black of the plate. Great...but so what? Some umpire will call it. Some won't. Some actually will call something a strike even if it is slightly off the plate.

And, believe it or not, the umpire may not call the same pitch a strike throughout the game. I've watched games where the ump changes his zone because of complaints from the fans or coaches. So, learning to throw a pitch "24 inches off the ground over the edge of the black" is more or less a worthless skill.

Even if they did have perfect strike zones, batters come in all shapes and sizes, meaning that the actual "strike zone" changes shape for each batter. And, sometimes a pitcher wants to "brush" a player back.

What *is* an important skill is the ability to move the location of the pitch two or three inches up, down, left and right.

How does she learn to do that? Quadrant drills forever...you make her pitch inside and low, then inside and high, then outside high, then outside and low. Each time she improves, you increase the difficulty--so, e.g., maybe starting off a ball that bounces and is twelve inches off the plate is "OK" for an inside and low pitch. Later, it might be one inch off the plate and six inches over the plate.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
On release of the ball, I tell them that their middle finger needs to point directly at my glove. We do not alter where our front foot steps.

And "yes" to visualizing where the pitch needs to go - and knowing where you want it to go. I suspect that 90% of girls under 14 yo, are just hoping to throw a strike.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
IMHO, you and her should forget about "throwing to a sport" and instead learn how to move the ball left, right, up and down.

Umpires in softball do not have a perfect strike zone. E.g., the "outside edge" of the strike zone varies from umpire to umpire. Suppose your DD learn to throw it over the black of the plate. Great...but so what? Some umpire will call it. Some won't. Some actually will call something a strike even if it is slightly off the plate.

And, believe it or not, the umpire may not call the same pitch a strike throughout the game. I've watched games where the ump changes his zone because of complaints from the fans or coaches. So, learning to throw a pitch "24 inches off the ground over the edge of the black" is more or less a worthless skill.

Even if they did have perfect strike zones, batters come in all shapes and sizes, meaning that the actual "strike zone" changes shape for each batter. And, sometimes a pitcher wants to "brush" a player back.

What *is* an important skill is the ability to move the location of the pitch two or three inches up, down, left and right.

How does she learn to do that? Quadrant drills forever...you make her pitch inside and low, then inside and high, then outside high, then outside and low. Each time she improves, you increase the difficulty--so, e.g., maybe starting off a ball that bounces and is twelve inches off the plate is "OK" for an inside and low pitch. Later, it might be one inch off the plate and six inches over the plate.

Sluggers,

Maybe my terminology is off, but what we were/are working on is the following:

She'll call the pitch, ie off the plate low, on the edge high, and so forth, then pitch. We've been doing the quadrant drills for some time, but I wanted to try the above drill bc, like you said, the "edge" could vary by ump and batter. So we started doing the "ball width off the plate low" type of instruction. That's when she asked the question I couldn't verbalize an answer for.

With that clarification, any more advice/instructions?
Thanks

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
"Lanes" is a good term, we use to call them "alleys" as to picture walls on each side........to visualize the only path. NMS is also correct, overhand throws to a target and their "design" hold true to placing a pitch in a desired location.

One of the many games DD and I played in the front yard was "target". Overhand throws where she/I would hold our glove up, the thrower had to hit the pocket without the other moving their glove. 2 points if you hit the target, -1 if you didn't, play to like 25-30. As a pitcher I believe repetitive physical mechanics along with a visional ability to "comprehend" what it takes to go from point A to B, helps a ton to hit a location.

We would also play the game when she pitched underhand, unfortunately I never won that version. :( I truly suck pitching underhand.

I do a variation of this with both my oldest DDs since they were 6. Only, I call them to overhand throw to my chest, left, or right.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207