Signs of a good glove broken in perfect

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2021
I recently bought my DD her first good glove (11.75 Bradley). I’m looking for where the palm creases should be after break-in. In the picture attached, the red lines are the “hinges”... should the palm crease be the purple, blue or green line? Thanks.

Attachments

• 8B779982-92E4-4166-8748-FA5214D0E0AE.jpeg
    8B779982-92E4-4166-8748-FA5214D0E0AE.jpeg
    195.8 KB · Views: 47
Nov 18, 2015
Depends?

Some IF's like the purple line - more thumb to index / ring. OFs may want the blue or green / thumb to pinky to create a deeper pocket.

But I'm guessing for 90% of our daughters, they don't have a reason for how their glove breaks in - it just finds the crease / hinge on its own based on how they catch the ball and naturally close the glove..

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I'd say neither, with the wide base, I'd say that glove would work best with a thumb to pinky close, but if you want it different, break it in with a thumb to middle finger close. It's up to you.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
First off you don't want any palm creases! Is she going to be wearing it TIP or traditional? And perfect is subjective, what feels like a perfect break-in for her, or you, or me will all feel different. She's obviously young so great fit first = perfect! Catching tough balls and keeping them inside the glove = perfect! Having confidence in her glove = perfect! Don't overthink it!

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
First off you don't want any palm creases! Is she going to be wearing it TIP or traditional? And perfect is subjective, what feels like a perfect break-in for her, or you, or me will all feel different. She's obviously young so great fit first = perfect! Catching tough balls and keeping them inside the glove = perfect! Having confidence in her glove = perfect! Don't overthink it!

Agreed. You want a hinge point at the heal but no crease through the palm/pocket. And keep a ball in the pocket whenever it is stored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 10, 2021
Crease wasn’t the right word. The leather wrinkles that occur over time after heavy break in. I understand kids close the glove differently, but I’m trying to nudge the glove breakin in the best direction for her. TIP will creat a different close vs conventional? My daughter has just started using TIP.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
TIP will creat a different close vs conventional? My daughter has just started using TIP.
Yes, TIP will want to close thumb to pinky/ring, and traditional will want to close thumb to either ring, middle, or even index depending on the person closing it. I'm old school, I do have a couple of gloves broken in TIP, but most of my gloves are traditional and close thumb to middle finger, just my preference.

Apr 9, 2020
our progression to break in ( daughter is infielder ) is to skip index finger while using to create a deeper pocket, we try to keep the same form it had while on display and always placed down on ground palm down not thrown or lying like pancake..learned along time ago at a camp when daughter was very young at the end in the circle the head coach (forget the university ) said one of her pet peeves and a thing she looked for was how ell the player took care of the her equipment.. the way someone took care of their glove was an indicator to help her assess is small sample type of kid she was.. she despised the pancake (like all of us dads had growing up on our spring hinged bike racks on way to play with friends), when she would instruct kids to move from one station to next she would observe how the child put down her glove or bat before moving to next station (kids that just flag glove or toss bat and run, vs the kid that places glove down properly and puts bat in rack or bag) and then sprints to next station... we would take our new glove to the hitting facility where they would hit with mallet for few minutess then we would would use pitching machine to catch many reps to help speed up...

May 10, 2021
Here are a couple of glove pics of her current glove. My DD will be 9 on 6/1. She plays middle infield. Thanks for the insight.

Attachments

• B6307C9F-B9E3-4C70-B647-D3E0D31261B2.jpeg
    B6307C9F-B9E3-4C70-B647-D3E0D31261B2.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • CE26295E-E0D1-4717-91D8-2672A5ED59C8.jpeg
    CE26295E-E0D1-4717-91D8-2672A5ED59C8.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member