Bradley Next Play vs Bradley FP Gold vs Vinci Fortus Glove comparison

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2018
I was looking for a new glove for my 8.5 year old daughter. She is small (4'2") and very athletic. She moved up to 10u for fall ball and has been using a Mizuno Prospect Finch Series 11.5" glove, but it was too floppy to handle some of the harder hits and throws. I'm a newbie at all of this so I did lots of reading on this site and came across a post by another father that had a small 10u daughter with small hands like my daughter. He was struggling to find a glove that fit and ultimately went with a Bradley glove after trying out several different ones. I hadn't heard of Bradley, so I did a little bit of research. They are a new company that started up late 2016 earlier 2017 with the goal of making gloves dedicated for kids from the young ones thru the teenage years. After trading emails with the company on some options, I ordered the Bradley Next Play Single Post Fast Back 11.75" and the Bradley FP Gold Open Back 11.75". The Next Play series is sold as a baseball glove, but the company says it is the same construction as the Bradly FP Gold Fast Back which was out of stock. For comparison I also bought a Vinci Fortus 11.5" which many on here really like. The Vinci Fortus was $85 and the Bradley's were both $125 each shipped to my door. The Vinci only has one web design to choose from, a "Net T-Web" where Bradley offered a single post and H-web in the FP Gold series and single post, H-web, I-web, plus web, and trap web in the Next Play series. I'm a newbie so I'm not sure at the 10u age how much the various web designs will help or hurt a player in a given positions, but having options is rarely a bad thing. Vinci glove comes in a 11.5", 12", and 12.5". The Bradley FP series only comes in a 11.75", but the Next Play series comes in a 11", 11.25", 11.5", 11.75", 12", and 12.5". Both Vinci and Bradley offer dedicated catcher and first baseman gloves.

Overall construction looks to be similar between all three gloves. All three had a fuzzy lining for the back of the hand. Not sure I'm too thrilled with the fuzzy lining as it seems like it would be a magnet for dirt and sweat and get pretty nasty quick, but my daughter really liked it. The Bradley Next Play has their Fast Back design which uses a mostly closed back side with a leather strap to adjust the wrist opening. The Bradley FP Gold has a traditional open back with Velcro to adjust the wrist. The Vinci Fortus has a traditional laces open back with two sets of holes to adjust the wrist opening. As expected the Bradley's, both 11.75", were taller than the 11.5" Vinci. Overall width of all three gloves was within a 1/4" or so. Out of the box the Vinci is a brick and will need a good break in period with a grown up starting it off as my daughter didn't have the strength to even flex the glove a little bit. The Bradley's advertise that they are 80% broken in from the factory and that seems about right. They were still on the stiff side, but my daughter was able to flex the glove enough to catch a call right out of the box. It will still need some work to form a good pocket and flex enough that she can get the fingers to close.

The fit on the hand was the biggest difference between the two. The spread on the finger stalls in the Vinci was just too wide for my daughters hand. She felt like it was trying to pull her pinky off. She has tried shifting her fingers over and doubling up, but she hasn't been able to get comfortable doing that. The Bradley gloves were much more comfortable to her. The spread on the finger stalls was narrower and worked well for her smaller hands. The finger stalls were also small on the Bradley's giving a tighter fit on the fingers than the Vinci.

I'm going to take all three gloves to practice and let our head coach lookat them. He has way more experience (on his 4th daughter in softball!) than I do. I'll also have a few girls of different sizes try them on and get their impressions.

Vinci Fortus 11.5"
vinci3.jpg vinci1.jpg vinci2.jpg

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Those are all very nice looking gloves.

My kid has been using Mizunos since she was four. I've always liked that they come pretty much game ready, but likely won't last as long as those you're talking about. As for getting "floppy", younger DD was usually ready for the next size up or a different type by the time that happened. On a couple of occasions, I had to pry the old one from her clutching hands.

Although the gap seems to be narrowing, I can still hit at least as hard as most any 16-18yo girl, so DD has never seen a situation where she or her glove wasn't ready for "game speed". Further, the Mizuno's she's used can be had for a fraction (50% or less) of what those very nice gloves cost. That makes for very easy replacement and break-in.

I've tried some of the higher-end models, and I can't say they work any better than the Wilson that I paid $60 for 16 years ago and has seen quite a bit of action. The higher end gloves will last, but there are many more modestly priced types that work just as well. At younger ages, you're likely to either need another one in a couple of years, or you'll buy one that's too big in the expectation that "she'll grow into it". Sure, when she gets a bit older and into high level travel ball and then college, a more durable glove could make very good sense. For a 10U, I'm just not seeing it.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018
I guess my daughter and I practice more than typical or we just got a lemon but her glove is at the end of it's life after half of spring ball and a full All-Star season. The laces are stretched out as the fingers are all separated and the web is pulling away from the index finger. So that means a new glove twice a year for two years of 10u at $30x4=$120. The Vinci should last two years of 10u so at $85 your money ahead. The Bradley's should last the same so you only save $5 versus the Bradley's. The Vinci/Bradley's finger side is half a finger wider than the Mizuno Prospect also. My preference would be for one glove that will last her thru 10u.

miz4.jpg miz3.jpg miz2.jpg miz1.jpg

May 21, 2014
I'd be interested to hear what your daughter thinks after using them. Judging by your pictures, your daughter must squeeze the glove like mine does which puts a break point kind of horizontally under the pinky and ring finger stall. My daughter catches a lot so going back and forth she has a hard time going to pinky-thumb instead of a palm squeeze like a catchers glove. The Mizuno with the v-notch seems to take this into account where other gloves do not.

and for the record the Mizuno could be relaced and help it out some but it doesn't appear to be a higher end leather glove so probably not worth it. I think you have picked some logical next step up gloves to try.

Apr 30, 2018
I'd be interested to hear what your daughter thinks after using them. Judging by your pictures, your daughter must squeeze the glove like mine does which puts a break point kind of horizontally under the pinky and ring finger stall. My daughter catches a lot so going back and forth she has a hard time going to pinky-thumb instead of a palm squeeze like a catchers glove. The Mizuno with the v-notch seems to take this into account where other gloves do not.

and for the record the Mizuno could be relaced and help it out some but it doesn't appear to be a higher end leather glove so probably not worth it. I think you have picked some logical next step up gloves to try.
Been using the Bradley glove for a few months now. Loving it. Glove is holding its shape beautifully. I make sure she keeps a ball in it when it is stored.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

May 21, 2014
Been using the Bradley glove for a few months now. Loving it. Glove is holding its shape beautifully. I make sure she keeps a ball in it when it is stored.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

which Bradley is she using?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I would bet that tightening the laces on the Miz will extend it's lifespan a bit.

As for choosing which of the new gloves to go with, pick the one your DD likes best. That's the single most important factor in the decision.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478