Shoulder/trunk rotation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 21, 2020
Good Morning looking for some advise for my daughter. We have been working on her drive for several months. I think she's finally getting the hang of it with continued work and strength training. so now it's time to work on the next problem.. she really rotates her shoulders and trunk when delivering the ball I have couple examples full pitch and one I have her throwing into her glove, which looks pretty good to me, but what are some other drills that you could recommend for her to help with this. She really still has a hard time feeling her body. Thank you everyone for taking a look!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 22, 2023
No advice but following because my pitcher also has a hard time feeling her body. It seems to have gotten somewhat better over time, but then she'll pop up with comments like, "Hey, I finally figured out what everyone's been saying when they say 'drive with your back leg,' I have just been stepping hard with my front!" :oops:

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
We learn motor skills by applying ourselves to movement.
Specific movements are included in that learning process.
Some movements become habit that we aren't necessarily thinking of doing they just happen that way. So we need to learn a process how to identify when we need to direct our body.

There will probably be other posters to offer pitching specific drills. I will leave them to offer those suggestions.

My suggestion is that there are things that are outside of pitching mechanics themselves that can help start learning the use of our body. Even things like simple dance routines can help learn orientation of limbs torso tushie shoulders arms Etc.

Sometimes the same routine like always focusing on pitching movements can tend to become a habit or have normalized muscle memory which when that needs to grow we need to break Beyond the Comfort level so to speak.
My suggestion is Branch Out find some other activities to have fun with to learn motor skills!
= Learn how to direct the body to do what we want it to do!

🙂👍 Enjoy!

Last edited:
May 21, 2018
Did a dog take the 2nd video? :) Form looks pretty good to me. Judging from the audio, sounds like she has good speed.

Sep 30, 2013
Northwest, IN
Good Morning looking for some advise for my daughter. We have been working on her drive for several months. I think she's finally getting the hang of it with continued work and strength training. so now it's time to work on the next problem.. she really rotates her shoulders and trunk when delivering the ball I have couple examples full pitch and one I have her throwing into her glove, which looks pretty good to me, but what are some other drills that you could recommend for her to help with this. She really still has a hard time feeling her body. Thank you everyone for taking a look!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is some over rotation there. When I have kids like her we try to focus on the sequence of how to decelerate as well. You'll see her release is a tad late because of the over rotation/lack of deceleration in the hips and torso. Core work and stability will help her. I do a couple of feeling drills so they can feel the hip and torso stick. Feel free to send me a DM and I will send you a couple videos of some drills I use to help my kids with trunk and torso control.

Attachments

• IMG_8146.PNG
    IMG_8146.PNG
    50.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7611.jpg
    IMG_7611.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amarie1234