Should a pitcher play fall ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
Some pitchers have cruddy mechanics that can only be fixed by a reboot. In this case, no, playing is BAD, as she'll use the cruddy mechanics to "get by".

If the pitcher already has sound fastball mechanics, then circle time is king, as other pitches can be worked on and mechanics tweaks made while she is still playing ball.

I do think having a few months off in the winter to work on pure speed without caring where the ball goes is worth it though, but you don't need to forego fall ball for this.

So, it really depends on the pitcher.

-W

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Under your PC's logic, pitchers out in California must be terrible since they play all year round. I'm not advocating fall ball, I just don't think there is a problem in learning new pitches.

The real reason to avoid excessive fall ball: So the DDs and Daddies remember that there is life before and after softball.

Oct 22, 2009
I don't mind mine playing fall ball. If they are younger I encourage it because the more mound time they get the better they get. Also 11yr olds moving into 12U. Fall is good for them to get used to the bigger ball and further distance.

The only ones I don't want pitching are the one's coming over from other instructors that are severe leaners.
The more they pitch the more it hampers their improvement. I can never get them to stop pitching long enough for improvement, and then complain because they still are not getting the correct mechanics.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
My DD plays ball from mid-February through the end of October. Both in and out of season, she and I practice 6 days a week with a pitching lesson and hitting lesson mixed in. Her PC told me he'll add pitches in the winter. He'd just as soon give her the playing/mound time on a full field because he felt it was more important.

Oct 22, 2009
It is not the competing that hurts IMO, but the teams' practices, because I know several orgs. where the only time off is Thanksgiving and Christmas weeks and one week at spring break (simply due to teh fact no one will show up! ha ha).

In the practice is where the new learning goes awry and the old stuff stagnates. I do try and talk to coaches about this and have been successful, but it is dependent on the all the parties, and in there some of the communication goes awry.

A few games here and there is OK, which is what fall is (with the coaches saying 'No new stuff,' as they are want to do).

It's the same here, there are only a few weeks out of the year that they are not playing, and coaches would throw a fit if the pitcher took time off.

Nov 11, 2009
Under your PC's logic, pitchers out in California must be terrible since they play all year round. I'm not advocating fall ball, I just don't think there is a problem in learning new pitches.

The real reason to avoid excessive fall ball: So the DDs and Daddies remember that there is life before and after softball.

Exactly what I was thinking. Western girls are pitching for Eastern college teams. And I'll second your second note.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HCockell