Set up position

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2009
My daughter has been attending a catching clinic at a local college that has a great teaching coach IMO and has had some highly successful college teams.

After the last clinic we were playing some dome games and I noticed my daughter setting up extra deep in her crouch to receive the ball (thighs past parrallel with the ground, hips lower than knees). It made it awkward to get out of the crouch and IMO is less athletic a position than hips slightly higher than knees. When I questioned her about it, she told me that is the position they are drilling into her at the clinic to give the umpire the best vision of the strikezone. I told her that I wasn't a fan of it with runners on base and that she needs to ask for further clarification at her next clinic (I will as well)

Any opinions? I had noticed that the new olympic team catcher gets this low, so I'm not sure it isn't high level technique just wondering what others feel about it.

Dec 12, 2009
CT
I would agree with you. I can see the point in a regular receiving stance to get low. But what I have always seen, and the way my DD has be taught in a couple clinics, is that for her "runners on" stance, she should be up a little bit in her crouch, in a good position to pop up and make a strong throw. Seems to me, if they are in a deep crouch, they will lose a fraction of a second getting to a strong throwing position, and it also seems like it would be tougher on the knees and quads. I'd be interested to hear their response when you post the question.

May 7, 2008
Hudson, NH
SnocatzDad,

With no runners on I want my catchers as low as possible. But with runners on I want them to come up in their stance so the top of the thighs are parallel to the ground. However they need to have their chest out over their knees so their glove can still be positioned below the batters knees. See the clip below to see a catcher in the runners-on stance I teach.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://s115.photobucket.com/flash/player.swf?file=http://vid115.photobucket.com/albums/n294/catchingcoach/Softball throw 2nd/T2-BIG-F.flv"></embed>

Jan 15, 2009
the examples lower legs look very vertical from both the side view and I am assuming from the front view as well based on how high her knees are. Is that what you are teaching as well? They are pushing for feet wider (creating tilt in angle on lower leg as seen from front) with weight more on inside of foot than just balls of the feet. Definitely brings the knees down which allows you to get lower but still have thighs above parrallel.

FYI my daughter finds this new wide stance position painful but I'm not sure if that's due to it being biomechanically unsound, or her muscles being underdeveloped to hold that position. Also my dd's foot is probably 6-8 inches toward back from knee (more under thigh than vertical as shown above) That may be due to her not being as chest forward as your student here.

May 5, 2009
I was reviewing a 2007 WCWS tape and noticed Balco(?) for Arizona had almost 45 degree slant with a runner on first. Her throwing arm back to the umpire and body open to the runner. What are the advantage/disadvantage to being squared up to the pitcher with runner on first vs. the approach by this succesfull catcher?

Sep 4, 2009
My daughter has been attending a catching clinic at a local college that has a great teaching coach IMO and has had some highly successful college teams.

After the last clinic we were playing some dome games and I noticed my daughter setting up extra deep in her crouch to receive the ball (thighs past parrallel with the ground, hips lower than knees). It made it awkward to get out of the crouch and IMO is less athletic a position than hips slightly higher than knees. When I questioned her about it, she told me that is the position they are drilling into her at the clinic to give the umpire the best vision of the strikezone. I told her that I wasn't a fan of it with runners on base and that she needs to ask for further clarification at her next clinic (I will as well)

Any opinions? I had noticed that the new olympic team catcher gets this low, so I'm not sure it isn't high level technique just wondering what others feel about it.
I'm a BIG fan of Coach Weaver's technique......The level thighs stance with runners on is a BIG advantage when blocking.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy