Screwball Proof, or Not!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 6, 2018
Is the myths on the screw not breaking or just not much.

What about the rise? I'm still early in this with my daughter but everything i hear is very few girls thrown a true rise. Mostly bullet spin and just a high pitch

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
It will do nothing if it doesn't have near a 10-4 spin, and a lot of "rise-balls" do not.

I just don't believe the wrist can snap clockwise fast or hard enough on a screwball to create the desired spin which is almost always a bullet-spin. There is another way to throw it, but it is a little precarious; that being to turn the index finger in, spinning the ball off of the index finger, so the wrist is turning counter clockwise. There might be a few hit batters. But a fat screwball waist high over the plate also has another name: HR.

Why not use the stride angle and finger pressure instead?
If you can make the pitch move in, 3-4 inches near the knees or up and in you have a winner!

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
In order to get a decent amount of 'screwball' spin the fingers have to point down and rotate to the inside of the ball. Anatomically that's difficult to do to any great degree. When a pitcher tries to do it inevitably they finish with the fingers pointed at the plate which applies bullet spin.

There is a lot bullet spin out there. Putting backspin on the ball often costs velocity, there can be a cost-benefit compromise involved.

Aug 21, 2008
I just don't believe the wrist can snap clockwise fast or hard enough on a screwball to create the desired spin which is almost always a bullet-spin.

and the #1 enemy of the riseball is the incorrect use of the wrist. I believe all of these "wrist flip" drills people do come back to bite the pitcher in the a$$. The other thing that kills the riseball is the "turn the doorknob" analogy. That promotes the wrist and usually creates bullet spin.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
I completely disagree with this. Well, let me clarify... there doesn't have to be a reduction in velocity.

Most pitchers who have reasonable mechanics have a riseball the same or within 1-2mph of their fastball. I don't know about men's as I just tried to hit the dang ball so my radar gun hand was on the bat handle. But in fact this goes to the argument as to whether terminal velocity is more important than movement? I would even give that possible 1-2mph for movement.

I think Dallas Escobedo would agree!

Escobedo 1a.gif

Attachments

• Escobedo.gif
    Escobedo.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 63
  • Escobedo 1.gif
    Escobedo 1.gif
    2.9 MB · Views: 60

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Is the myths on the screw not breaking or just not much.

What about the rise? I'm still early in this with my daughter but everything i hear is very few girls thrown a true rise. Mostly bullet spin and just a high pitch

RISEBALL: There are some female pitchers who throw a "real" rise. The pitchers that do throw them dominate in HS and TB. It can be a good pitch in college as well, but the pitcher has to have really good control (which is true of any collegiate pitcher). A lot of pitchers (Rachel Garcia) throw a bullet spin pitch as a riseball...but there is more to it than simply "throwing a bullet spin pitch".

SCREWBALL: The 3-9 spin (RH pitcher, viewed from catcher) screwball is a fantasy. It doesn't exist. There are *ZERO* videos showing someone throwing a 3-9 spin pitch in a game. On the other hand, there are lots of videos of drops and riseballs. To throw a screwball, the pitcher steps left and throws right, so the ball comes in at an odd angle. Usually the pitch is thrown with bullet spin.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles