Scoring for reaching base on a dropped 3rd strike

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
I was under the impression that it's always K E2. There was discussion in a Facebook group that it can be scored as a K WP (strike out-wild pitch), but I've never heard of that.

Can anyone cite some official wording one way or the other?

Oct 24, 2010
1. A wild pitch is charged to the pitcher when the pitcher throws so high, wide or
low that the catcher can not handle the ball with ordinary effort and at least one
runner advances.
c - A third strike that is not handled by the catcher because it was
wild, where the batter makes first base safely, is charged to the
pitcher as a strikeout and also as a wild pitch (KWP).

2. A passed ball is charged to the catcher when she fails to catch a pitch which
could have been caught with ordinary effort and at least one baserunner advances.
c - A third strike that is not handled by the catcher and which should
have been with ordinary effort, and the batter reaches first base
safely, is charged to the catcher as a passed ball and the pitcher as a
strikeout (KPB).

ATEC Beyond the basics of scoring

ETA:
An Error is Charged
1. For each miscue/physical mistake, including fielding, wild throws, and missed
catches of good throws, which prolongs the life of a batter, the life of a runner or
which permits a runner to advance, including a dropped foul fly unless it was
dropped intentionally to prevent a runner from advancing.
t - A runner reaching first base safely as a result of a dropped third
strike is scored as either a wild pitch or passed ball, not an error,
unless the ball is picked up in time that an accurate throw or catch
would have resulted in an out.
u - No error is charged if other runners advance on a dropped third
strike when the batter is out. No error is charged when the batter is
not out. A passed ball or wild pitch is charged.

Pitching Strikeouts
1. The pitcher who throws the third strike is credited with the shikeout, [sic]
2. The pitcher is credited with a strikeout even if the batter reaches first on the
dropped third strike rule. Score KPB or KWP, whichever the case.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Thanks, guys! That was very helpful.

Has it always been that way? Once upon time the person who trained me to do book told to mark it as a K E2. Maybe they just didn't know their facts. A lot of the Facebook people said K E2 also. Was this just one of those "hands are part of the bat" or "tie goes to the runner" rules that really aren't rules but a lot of people think they are?

May 16, 2016
Has it always been that way? Once upon time the person who trained me to do book told to mark it as a K E2. Maybe they just didn't know their facts. A lot of the Facebook people said K E2 also. Was this just one of those "hands are part of the bat" or "tie goes to the runner" rules that really aren't rules but a lot of people think they are?

Passed Balled are tracked separately, so it's not recorded as an error. But for purposed of determining earned runs, it is treated the same as an error.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Thanks, guys! That was very helpful.

I can't speak to always, but scoring rules are very rarely changed. I can't think of any, at least for OBR.

Other than new rules for new scenarios, like MLB's use of the ITB in extra innings, can anybody name the last time scoring was actually changed somehow?

Oct 24, 2010
The SAVE rule, introduced in 1969, changed in 1973 and 1975.

To answer OP's question: here is part of OBR 10.14 as of 1996 (couldn't find older)

10.14 No error shall be charged in the following cases:
(f) Because the pitcher and catcher handle the ball much more than other fielders, certain misplays on
pitched balls are defined in Rule 10.15 as wild pitches and passed balls. No error shall be charged when a wild
pitch or passed ball is scored.
(1) No error shall be charged when the batter is awarded first base on four called balls or because
he was touched by a pitched ball, or when he reaches first base as the result of a wild pitch or passed ball.
(i) When the third strike is a wild pitch, permitting the batter to reach first base, score a strikeout
and a wild pitch.
(ii) When the third strike is a passed ball, permitting the batter to reach first base, score a
strikeout and a passed ball.
(2) No error shall be charged when a runner or runners advance as the result of a passed ball, a
wild pitch or a balk.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
The SAVE rule, introduced in 1969, changed in 1973 and 1975.
The Save was what I had in mind for a big addition.

I also know they used to have Game-Winning RBI as an official stat and that was removed at some point (late '80s?).

I think it's safe to assume that there are very rarely changes to established record-keeping methods, which makes sense. You don't want to make a lot of changes when the sport (talking baseball here) has such a rich, detailed statistical history.

Jul 13, 2014
Nashville, TN
Passed Balled are tracked separately, so it's not recorded as an error. But for purposed of determining earned runs, it is treated the same as an error.
Important to distinguish between PB and WP, as the former would result in the run being unearned, as stated, but a run resulting from WP would be earned.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414