Scoring Experts - Need Advice on how to score this play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2010
Situation. Two outs. Runner on first. Batter hits to shortstop who juggles the ball and is unable to make the routine put out at first. The runner is safe on second and the batter-runner is safe on first. The SS returns the ball to the pitcher and the runner on 2nd violates the look back rule by stutter stepping back and forth and is called out by the ump. 3rd out. I checked the ASA scoring rules (see below) and I think this should be ruled an error since it extended the existence of the runner on first. The official score keeper disagrees and thinks it should be a hit since it did not extend the time at bat. Thoughts?

Errors are recorded:
a. For each player who commits a misplay which prolongs the turn at bat of the batter or extends the existence of the runner.
b. For the fielder who fails to touch a base after receiving a thrown ball to retire a runner on a force out, or when a runner is compelled to return to a base, and the thrown ball could have been caught by the fielder with ordinary effort.
c. For the catcher if the batter is awarded first base because of catcher’s obstruction.
d. For the fielder who fails to complete a double play because of a dropped ball.
e. For a fielder if a runner advances a base because of that fielder’s failure to catch, stop, or try to stop a ball accurately thrown to a base, provided there was an occasion to throw. When more than one player could receive the throw, the scorer must determine which player should receive the error.

May 5, 2008
I agree E6 - the batter does not get a hit on that if the play went as you say and the play was a "routine" play for the SS.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06