Save the bugs!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
On our way home from my DD's rec league "select team" practice last night, my 9yo DD told me that one of the coaches running the hitting station told her to keep the ball of her rear foot on the ground and turn the leg with the age-old cue "remember to squish the bug", rather than allowing the rear foot to come up on the toe as she was doing. She told him, "That's not right", and kept doing it the way she has been taught.

I gave my DD a high-five.

There is no reason so many bugs should have to die this way.

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
After a year of working a bad "bug squish" out of her swing, my DD now laughs when she see's and hear's people tell players to do such a thing. It is a painful laugh however, because we both know the amount of time it took to unlearn this widely taught garbage. Say NO to the bug!!!!

Oct 19, 2009
Every year hundreds of insects are killed on the ball diamond by kids who are being taught Squash the Bug Mechanics (SBM).

Has anyone consider the impact on any bug who flies, walks or crawls into a batter’s box?

An environmental impact study needs to be conducted to fully understand this horrible injustice to the insect world.

It is time to stop the slather of these poor defenseless insects by beating, protesting, boycotting or jailing any coach caught teaching SBM to our youth.

Donations can be sent to:

Send me money
BR549
Anywhere, US XXXXX

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
If you want a chuckle go back and watch Baseball World a training video back in the late 80's by Tommy Emanski. Guess what he was saying as a cue on this VCR hitting tapes back then? It was one of the first hitting instructional tapes I bought. Now you know why many were taught this cue. His baseball training school in Florida was suppose to be one of the best in the country back then.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
If you want a chuckle go back and watch Baseball World a training video back in the late 80's by Tommy Emanski. Guess what he was saying as a cue on this VCR hitting tapes back then? It was one of the first hitting instructional tapes I bought. Now you know why many were taught this cue. His baseball training school in Florida was suppose to be one of the best in the country back then.

It wasn't long ago that Mike Candrea was a big advocate of bug squishing. He learned and moved on. He's a student of the game.

medicpelle

You are looking live.....
Feb 11, 2013
Grand Lake Oklahoma
On our way home from my DD's rec league "select team" practice last night,

I agree on the "Squishing the Bug" nonsense but can you really expect more from where she is coming from? I'm sure the coach for this" Rec select team" is doing his best based on what he knows and what his abilities are. Why call him out on it? It's rec correct? Seems like a I know more then him post.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I didn't call him out, my DD stood her ground. The "team" is a continuation of the 8U All-Star team, who are all now all 10U and continuing to practice together in the off-season. The "coaches" are dads of the players who also coach regular season teams in the league (5 of us, including myself). This particular guy is just ignorant to proper hitting mechanics, but is otherwise a great guy and someone I consider a friend. My point isn't about his ignorance, but more about my DD standing up for herself and the work we've done together.

In short, I'm bragging a bit. ;)

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
It wasn't long ago that Mike Candrea was a big advocate of bug squishing. He learned and moved on. He's a student of the game.

It's been my experience that the toughest thing for most who are "coaches" of one capacity or another to remain (or be) students of the game. I think almost all are students of the game over the long run, but I think the majority are not in the short run. Most people do not like other people telling them that they are missing something or that they are teaching something that isn't "the right way." I think it is common for them to think, "Who the hell are you, and what makes you think you know more than me?" It's a pride thing with most.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina

Good point. I don't look down on coaches who teach squish the bug.

Well, let me say that another way. I do conclude that a 'bug-squisher' coach is someone who is not very far along in the journey to understanding hitting. But so is everybody at some point. In most all cases, they're trying to do a good job and just don't know any better.

A good question might be how does one handle a coach who teaches something that clearly is wrong?

I had the bug discussion with an assistant coach about a year ago who uttered those three infamous words (STB) at practice.

First, I sent him the slow-motion videos of the MLB all-star game HR contest. His answer: "But they're trying to hit home runs.''

Then I showed him slow-mo of Miggy Cabrera in a real game. "But he's a power hitter. What about a line-drive hitter like Pete Rose?''

Luckily, I found video of Pete Rose.

"But what about softball players?"

Showed him softball players.

''No two swings are alike. Even at the highest levels, you see so many different styles.''

OK. :)

Most people do not like other people telling them that they are missing something or that they are teaching something that isn't "the right way." I think it is common for them to think, "Who the hell are you, and what makes you think you know more than me?" It's a pride thing with most.

Right you are.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl