Salazar hit in face during exhibition baseball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Posted: Wednesday March 9, 2011 2:07PM ; Updated: Wednesday March 9, 2011 2:07PM

KISSIMMEE, Fla. (AP) -- Atlanta Braves minor league manager Luis Salazar has been airlifted to a hospital after being hit in the face by a foul ball during an exhibition game.
There was no immediate word on Salazar's condition.
The 54-year-old Salazar was struck by Brian McCann's liner while sitting in the first-base dugout in the first inning.
The game between the Braves and St. Louis Cardinals was delayed nearly 20 minutes while an ambulance drove onto the field. Salazar was airlifted to the Orlando Regional Medical Center.
Salazar played in the major leagues from 1980 through 1992 for San Diego, Detroit, the Cubs and the White Sox. He was set to manage the Braves' Class A team in Lynchburg, Va.
McCann removed himself from the game after the accident.

Copyright 2011 Associated Press.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Braves Minor League manager Luis Salazar, struck in the face by a foul line drive, was breathing on his own and showing some signs of consciousness after being transported to Orlando Regional Hospital by helicopter on Wednesday, a Braves spokesman said.

Salazar lost consciousness after being struck on the left side of his face with a line drive that Brian McCann pulled into the home dugout at Champion Stadium. The 54-year-old Minor League manager was standing along the rail when he was struck. He appeared stiff as he fell and landed on his face.

"He was out when it hit him," said Atlanta third baseman Chipper Jones, who was on first base when Salazar was struck. "I didn't see him hit the ground. But it was awful. ... A ball hit that hard at that short of a distance could certainly kill somebody. I'm so glad to hear he's conscious and breathing on his own."

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
OMG!!! That's awful! Everyone please keep Salazar and McCann in your thoughts and prayers. I can't imagine what either one is going through right now.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Heard on the news that salazar is now breathing on his own and "showing signs of being consious'. They are hopeful there will not be any brain damage.

Sep 3, 2009
We've had blues over the years, pause the the game and tell girls to get out of the doorway of the dugout before. Really drives that point home now. I've seen foul balls go into major league dugouts before, but haven't see any bad injuries from them. I've wondered why their dugouts are always open?

I hope he makes a fast, and full recovery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy