runner leaves early

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2014
There was 1 out and runners on 2nd and 3rd. There was a pop fly to the centerfielder. It was caught, and the runner on second left early. The runner scored from 3rd and the other runner went from 2nd to 3rd. They appealed to second base and she was called out for the 3rd out. My question is, does the run count?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Yes. Run counts because it was scored before the third out was made and there was no force play.

This becomes tricky when we think that it's illegal to leave early. You can leave early. You are just at risk of being put out at the base you left. But if the run scores before you are put out, it counts.

May 24, 2014
Thanks. It seems like because you tagged the base its a force out but i guess not. Good to know. Thanks again

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I participate on several softball and umpire discussion boards and this exact same question has come up at least a half dozen times already this season. And the season is still young!

It is a common misconception that this is a force out, just because it is completed by a fielder holding the ball and touching the base, as most force outs are. But it's not a force out. It's an appeal play, appealing that the runner left the base without properly tagging up.

By the rule book definition, a force out is when a runner is forced to advance by the batter becoming a batter-runner. Once the batter-runner is put out before safely reaching first base, all force outs are eliminated. The batter is out, so by definition the runners on base are no longer forced to advance.

A runner being put out for leaving base early on a catch can NEVER be a force out.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06