Rules Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 4, 2010
Tucson AZ
Just trying to throw out a possibility here. If the batters hands were above the "Strike zone" but over the plate, wouldn't this be a legit HBP?

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
There are a multitude of factors that go into a games outcome. You can never just attribute a loss to a few very visible ones. There are many you arent even aware of, both in your favor or against you that could have changed the games outcome. Strikes or balls called at different times, missed plays, etc that were incorrect.

At the end of the day, the problem is always that the loser allowed the other the other team to win, by failing to deliver runs/hits/outs when they had the opportunity to do so. Teach your girls to blame themselves for every loss, no one else.

A games outcome is the sum of what you did right, minus what you did wrong.

Jul 28, 2008
First off, the coach needs to call time and approach the umpire. The first question you ask him is if the ball was in the strike zone. His answer will then dictate whether or not you protest the call. If he says, "yes" you protest. If he says, "no" then you cannot do anything and move on with the game.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
I'm not going to disagree or agree but in all the years i played both baseball and fastpitch, getting hit had nothing to do with the strike zone, it does make a difference if you are swinging if i remember right, your leagues or associations may have rules that i am not familiar with, but the strike zone was never a factor, you were either hit or leaned into it or what ever, maybe i was lucky and never had that situation, bit i did ump on the high school level at one time years ago. interesting though

Apr 24, 2010
This is the sort of call that drives folks nuts! As SoCalDad stated the rule in his message: According to ASA 4.J A strike is called by the umpire: When a legally pitched ball hits the batter while the ball is in the strike zone. It makes absolutely no difference if she was pulling back or not. Would the pitch have been a strike? Now we had a game where the umpire understood this rule. The opposing teams batter did a check swing and the pitch was on the inside corner of the plate and hit the batter's hand. The pitch would have been a strike and the umpire called it as such. The umpire did take a few moments and gave a clinic on the rule to the upset fans, who thought she should have been awarded the base.

Mar 13, 2010
I had a similar thing happen where a girl clearly checked her swing and it was called a strike. When our coach asked the ump if it was a strike the ump said that she swung.

Very frustrating. I'd never seen it called that tight before. The bat never crossed any part of the plate, her wrists didn't break. Anyway the call kicked us out of a single elimination tourney.

Let me make sure I'm reading this correctly.....a called strike on a check swing eliminated your team from a tournament?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06