Rotating pitchers strategy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2010
I am currently building 2 pitchers on our team and have a third that is already 100% tournament ready. The other 2 are 75% there, but are progressing quickly. I would like some advice on how to rotate the pitchers to achieve the following goals:
1. Get the 2 @ 75% enough game experience to build their confidence and abilities
2. Get the #1 pitcher enough time to keep her skills up and 'keep her satisfied'
3. Keep the game a challenge for the defense backing up the pitchers.

I would like to have three good pitchers on the team, but with the way teams are popping up lately, I feel that the girls will be enticed to go elsewhere if they are not progressing or getting 'mound' time.

Any comments welcome.

Mar 15, 2010
Your concern about playing time for pitchers and enticement to other teams is well founded. I have two pitchers on my team. A righty and a lefty. Both are currently tournament level pitchers and the pitching load is about 50/50. Typically we will use the hotter pitcher a bit more over a tournament weekend. We have been trying to add a third pitcher for the past 6 months and are having a very difficult time. We had one join last fall and was probably at the same 75% level you described. She got limited playing time, usually in what I term garbage time (approaching no new inning or drop dead time). After the first couple of tournaments she bolted to another team that promised her more "mound" time. With the difficulty in finding this 3rd pitcher we have been working with a player who was a Rec ball pitcher and is interested in getting limited time on the "mound". She has her starting position at 3rd so pitching is a bonus. You may want to consider this approach if you find it difficult to find a pitcher.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
I am currently building 2 pitchers on our team and have a third that is already 100% tournament ready. The other 2 are 75% there, but are progressing quickly. I would like some advice on how to rotate the pitchers to achieve the following goals:
1. Get the 2 @ 75% enough game experience to build their confidence and abilities
2. Get the #1 pitcher enough time to keep her skills up and 'keep her satisfied'
3. Keep the game a challenge for the defense backing up the pitchers.

I would like to have three good pitchers on the team, but with the way teams are popping up lately, I feel that the girls will be enticed to go elsewhere if they are not progressing or getting 'mound' time.

Any comments welcome.

I dont know about you, but I kind of like it when the defense is bored! It means the pitcher is doing her job well.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I have 4 pitchers on this team... with that being said, they all have their strengths and weakness
#1 - Big girl, throws pretty hard - doesn't have any breaking pitches (working on them)
#2 - Most dedicated, she tends to not really start pitching until she walks a couple of batters - drives me insane!
#3 - Smallest of the bunch, doesn't throw very hard, but is very consistent and can hit any spot you give her
#4 - Newest of the bunch, throws fairly hard very inconsistent right now, great breaking pitches when she actually throws strikes.

Don't know what I'm going to do right now. Last year I had the #1,2,3 pitchers on the team, and for the most part they got equal innings. I'm in this to teach the girls. Sure we go out to win, however if the #4 pitcher hasn't ever come into a bases loaded jam, I'll put her in to get the experience. If we end up loosing... oh well, but at least the next time she will know what to expect and how to pitch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand