Rosin question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2021
My daughter is a pitcher in a 16u travel team in North Texas.

She has been using Rawlings Rosin in the past. Today, she used a rosin bag from Zett which is a Japanese brand.

Blue immediately came to her and told it was illegal to use….because it was powder based.

Anybody know if it’s really illegal to use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 14, 2019
why would it be illegal? Wipe off before touching ball. MSU rule book strikes again.
Not a rules expert here and not familiar with Zett brand rosin, but I think rock rosin is the only kind that is a problem since it leaves a residue that can transfer and stick to the ball. Powder rosin is legal. Maybe someone with more smarts than me can weigh in on this one.

May 16, 2016
Not familiar with that brand, and all the descriptions are written in Japanese, so can't really tell if its illegal or what. I am curious, why did you buy Japanese rosin bag?

Anyway, we are using an "Extra Large" powdered rosin bag made by Hot Glove. It is about the size of a Smart Phone, and puts out a LOT of powdered rosin. They sell a similar looking "Rock Rosin Bag" so make sure you are getting the powdered rosin for your pitcher.

Hot Glove - Powdered Rosin Bag XL

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Definitely MSU.

USA rule book:

RULE 6A - PITCHING REGULATIONS (FAST PITCH)
SECTION 6 - FOREIGN SUBSTANCE/PROTECTIVE WRAPS
A. A defensive player shall not, at any time during the game, be allowed to use any foreign substance upon the ball, pitching hand or fingers. Under the supervision and control of the umpire, powder resin and/or an approved drying agent that is included on the list published by USA Softball may be used by the pitcher.

(Italics and bold added for emphasis)

Jul 16, 2021
Thanks for all the replies.

I visit Japan every year and my kids baseball/softball equipment is purchased in Japan aside from bats.

I will tell my daughter to go ahead and use the Zett rosin again.

If the blue says something again, will purchase the hot glove rosin.

Thanks again

May 16, 2016
Thanks for all the replies.

I visit Japan every year and my kids baseball/softball equipment is purchased in Japan aside from bats.

I will tell my daughter to go ahead and use the Zett rosin again.

If the blue says something again, will purchase the hot glove rosin.

Thanks again

My DD was flying back from a attending a college pitching camp with DW, and had a bag of powdered rosin in one of their carry on. They were stopped by the TSA, and tested for drugs... :oops:

L.J

Sep 22, 2021
Gorilla Gold, it works better!!
My son was a catcher and didn’t use batting gloves. He used Gorilla gold and it left no sticky residue like pine tar. As a catcher who wouldn’t use batting gloves he wanted to make sure nothing was put on the balls to cost his pitcher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nabbott