Rolling Glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2019
Has anybody ever had an issue with player “rolling her glove”?
Girl is MI and never been an issue previously. Girl makes all the routine plays and other nice plays so can’t really see the significance.

Jun 8, 2016
Has anybody ever had an issue with player “rolling her glove”?
Girl is MI and never been an issue previously. Girl makes all the routine plays and other nice plays so can’t really see the significance.
What does it look like. Never heard of that phrase.

Apr 28, 2019
What does it look like. Never heard of that phrase.
Well good question because I’ve heard the phase used but never really noticed anybody rolling the glove.
As the coach explained it you lift your glove up before the ball arrives and lower it as the ball is getting closer. As long as the glove is down before the ball arrives and you move through the ball I really don’t see an issue.
The guy is a stickler for details and I think it’s more about him than the player to be honest.

Apr 28, 2019
Glove flipping?

I’ve never heard the term glove flipping when fielding a ground ball but yes rolling the glove down late.
Like the guy mentioned you may be able to field the ball 100 out of 100 times but it’s about the presentation.
For myself I keep my throwing hand inside my glove in a fist until the last possible second because it feels comfortable. Never have balls go through the 5 hole. I get the concept of early preparation but it seems more cosmetic/polished than a must apply method. If I had a player missing many grounders under her glove definitely something we would work on.
Thanks for the video.

Jun 8, 2016
I’ve never heard the term glove flipping when fielding a ground ball but yes rolling the glove down late.
Like the guy mentioned you may be able to field the ball 100 out of 100 times but it’s about the presentation.
For myself I keep my throwing hand inside my glove in a fist until the last possible second because it feels comfortable. Never have balls go through the 5 hole. I get the concept of early preparation but it seems more cosmetic/polished than a must apply method. If I had a player missing many grounders under her glove definitely something we would work on.
Thanks for the video.
Well it might work for this player now but if you watch the best infielders they are not flipping so there must be something to it...

Apr 28, 2019
Well it might work for this player now but if you watch the best infielders they are not flipping so there must be something to it...
In this case I think the coach wants to look good in front of other coaches. All my Kids do it the professional way sort of thing. Nothing wrong with that. If results are good currently is change really necessary at this point?
It’s the old if it ain’t broke vs constant change and improvement are required.

Jun 8, 2016
In this case I think the coach wants to look good in front of other coaches. All my Kids do it the professional way sort of thing. Nothing wrong with that. If results are good currently is change really necessary at this point?
You can always get better and like I said all of the best IF present the glove early. Even if that only gives an IF 0.01% better chance of catching a ball cleanly (I think the difference is larger than tbh) as she moves up it will help her. Plus, as college coaches only get a limited amount of time to see somebody, sometimes looks (as superficial as it may be) do matter.

Sounds like the kid must be a good athlete so getting her to not flip shouldn't be an issue. Start with the drill in the above video.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Plus, as college coaches only get a limited amount of time to see somebody, sometimes looks (as superficial as it may be) do matter.
Yep, this right here! Big showcase, college coach is looking at two different SS's, both fielding at 100% for the tournament and getting it done, but one is just a little smoother and more fluid, even though both are very good which one do you think that college coach would be interested in first?

Proper feet and hand work, body positioning, balance, timing, moving through the ball, and true "ball player" instincts are picked up by a college coach in seconds, teaching correct infield mechanics at a early age definitely pays off in the long run!

Oct 4, 2018

My DD and others used to slam home runs swinging only with their arms. We obviously needed to correct that.

I guess it comes down to the definition of "broke".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardSwinson