RIP to the hit king

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I like the dude BUT he admitted to having sex with a 16 year old girl. F him while he rots in hell.
No excuse for that behavior. Doesn't matter if it was somehow consensual. He is a sick F.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I like the dude BUT he admitted to having sex with a 16 year old girl. F him while he rots in hell.
No excuse for that behavior. Doesn't matter if it was somehow consensual. He is a sick F.
As I said, I don't agree with what is alleged to have happened. But if we're going to be critical of him, we need to stop listening to virtually every rock musician from the last 60 years for the same offenses.

Jun 18, 2023
He may not have been a model citizen, but it's okay for them to have a display of all of his memorabilia at the hall recognizing his achievement yet not have a plaque? Kind of a double standard.
Not really. The game still counted, all that stuff helps tell the story of baseball over those year. But we don't have to cast terrible people in bronze and honor them specifically and purposefully.

May 17, 2012
But we don't have to cast terrible people in bronze and honor them specifically and purposefully.

And yet with Pete Rose is where we draw the line? It's just spite and stubbornness at this point.

I am not even a Pete Rose fan but try explaining to children why the greatest hitter you ever saw isn't in the Hall of Fame. It's because some adults can't be adults.

I can't decide which is worse, what he did to baseball or what baseball did to him. It's just sad.

Jun 18, 2023

And yet with Pete Rose is where we draw the line? It's just spite and stubbornness at this point.

I am not even a Pete Rose fan but try explaining to children why the greatest hitter you ever saw isn't in the Hall of Fame. It's because some adults can't be adults.

I can't decide which is worse, what he did to baseball or what baseball did to him. It's just sad.

well you sound like one. "Why isn't Pete in the hall if he has the hits record?" is not a hard question to answer. Actions have consequences. We don't honor people like that with speeches and plaques. Go watch some highlights, looks at memorabilia from moments that happened in which he participated.

spite and stubbornness? He's so far beyond the line that we actually have multiple OTHER lines that we talk about. He was permanently banned from baseball. FOREVER. And that was before most of us found out about the relationship with (At least) 1 14 year old girl. He lied, harassed reporters for bringing any of it up. He gambled on the sport, constantly. cheated on his taxes. Was never contrite or apologetic about it or admitted mistakes.

It's a wonderful lesson to teach our children. Being famous, hitting a ball hard, etc do not make you a good person or make you better than anyone else. Be a good person.

Be a good person. That's it. "Why isn't Pete in the Hall?" "He wasn't a good person." Children understand.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth

Yep! Figure out where to draw the line on the athlete side or on the person side?

There are definitely a lot of other professional athletes who have crossed whatever the code of conduct line is who are still in the sport and some of those receiving Awards. (and even bronzed in a statue after their passing)

Yucky bad chit too! Beyond whats described in some of these posts about Pete Rose. R.I.P.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sav19821920