required classes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2010
If a student/athlete is entering high school, should she be taking different classes if she is looking into playing D1 or D2 or? Are there certain required classes for each level? if so, what are the classes to take for each level? Do certain classes count for both? Is there a web site I can check out to help further my knowledge about this subject? Please forgive my naivety. Thanks in advance for your responses.

May 23, 2010
Here is a link to the 2009-10 NCAA eligibility guide:

http://www.ncaastudent.org/NCAA_Guide.pdf

While I am still learning about the process, I don't think you need to worry about this. Most high school students will take these classes (at a minimum). Our public high school has more rigorous standards for graduation than the NCAA eligibility requirements.

If she has her heart set on going to a college with tough academic standards, she should consult with the guidance office to set up a four-year plan.

My kid (10th grade) would like to play softball in college, but she is not D1 material. She is focused on D3 schools, as the athletics typically require far fewer hours per week than a D1 school, and she should have more time to spend on her studies.

Nov 29, 2009
JP,

You have your thought process completely backwards. What your daughter needs to do is find schools that are the best academic fit for her based on what she plans to major in. Check with the schools and find out what classes she'll need to have completed in HS. Approach it as if your daughter would not be playing ball there. Then hit those coaches hard with contact information for your daughter. Let them know which team she plays for. When and were they'll be playing. Send them her HS schedule. IF they are close they may stop by, but it's not likely.

Think of softball as a tool to either get entry into a school with very high academic standards and/or a way to pay for some or all of her education. That is the REAL value of softball. For 99.999% of the girls who play they will NEVER make a living at the sport at this time. My daughter was able to have softball pay for a VERY large portion of her education and was left with a very small amount of student loans compared to other students she knew. Every paycheck she gets makes that softball scholarship worth that much more.

Dec 28, 2008
Understand that many coaches will look at her transcript for what it will tell them about her character. "Is she looking to do the minimum work to get the A, or is she looking to be challenged and reach as far as possible?" In other words did she take the minimum courses and then 3 Home Economic and PE courses, or did she strive for AP courses, even though she might have pulled a B in them instead of an A.

Jun 7, 2010
I was kind of firing a preemptive strike. Daughter is not at that point yet. I appreciate all the feedback and when the time comes I feel better equipped to make decisions to assist her along her journey. I have been talking to her about what she wants to do long term as far as a major but she is still wavering. I like to tell her that her arm could fall off tomorrow but her head will be there forever so work on the head. As a parent I am just trying to be as informed as I can be so when the time comes I can help her make the more educated choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish