Colleges/Universities with high academic standards (engineering)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 9, 2021
I believe Embry-Riddle softball is based at their Daytona, FL campus.

Looks like a pretty nice facility.

View attachment 25807

Edit: Dose Embry Riddle have two separate athletic programs? One in AZ and another in FL?
Working my way through this thread. Not sure I saw this answered or not. Yes there are two campuses...one in FL and one in AZ. FL softball coach was a pretty amazing player. AZ coaching position was posted earlier this year, as far as I can tell they have not filled the position yet. Anyone here have other insight on that?

Nov 18, 2013
Workload and stress-wise regarding softball, no - and I stated as such. Academic-wise, I beg to differ. I assure you the same college course at one school can be much more difficult at another. For example, Calculus at MIT will be on a different level than at “State U.”

And your post is what a lot of players and parents need to hear. It is very, very difficult to take a hard core major and also play D1 softball. Obviously some do it and succeed - but in the end, is the stress of both worth it? Usually one has to give, and the player has to decide which one trumps the other.
“State U” isn’t all that bad. While not MIT they’re still usually among the top universities in the country. It’s a lot more common for D1 softball players to have STEM majors than you’d think. The last time I checked the NCAA data female athletes, other than basketball, had a higher percentage of STEM majors than the overall student body. I assume that’s still the case or very close to it. I’m sure the vast majority would say it’s absolutely worth it, just as would a student athlete at any level.

May 27, 2013
“State U” isn’t all that bad. While not MIT they’re still usually among the top universities in the country. It’s a lot more common for D1 softball players to have STEM majors than you’d think. The last time I checked the NCAA data female athletes, other than basketball, had a higher percentage of STEM majors than the overall student body. I assume that’s still the case or very close to it. I’m sure the vast majority would say it’s absolutely worth it, just as would a student athlete at any level.

I agree that “State U” isn’t that bad - I graduated from a “State School” with both my undergrad and masters degrees. I still would not compare the difficulty of my science classes to a Top 20, maybe even Top 50 school science course.

My point of contention is that Vicimus appears to have a grudge against D3 programs and seems to put them down at times, making them come across as a joke. I just don’t understand the gripe.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013
I agree that “State U” isn’t that bad - I graduated from a “State School” with both my undergrad and masters degrees. I still would not compare the difficulty of my STEM classes to a Top 20, maybe even Top 50 STEM program.

My point of contention is that Vicimus appears to have a grudge against D3 programs and seems to put them down at times, making them come across as a joke. I just don’t understand the gripe.
I don’t think it’s a grudge against DIII. He doesn’t respect other D1 programs or non Computer Science majors either. Trying to say the pressure and stress isn’t comparable was silly. Any student athlete knows what pressure is regardless of level or major.

Apr 14, 2022
I agree that “State U” isn’t that bad - I graduated from a “State School” with both my undergrad and masters degrees. I still would not compare the difficulty of my science classes to a Top 20, maybe even Top 50 school science course.

With an engineering degree the most important part of the school is the career placement department. Go for value. A couple of exceptions if you are going into a nitch field.

Jun 8, 2016
With an engineering degree the most important part of the school is the career placement department. Go for value. A couple of exceptions if you are going into a nitch field.
Well jeez..Where were you the last 16 years when I was spending all my time preparing lectures 😂 (and yes I know what you mean..just busting your chops)

May 27, 2013
I don’t think it’s a grudge against DIII. He doesn’t respect other D1 programs or non Computer Science majors either. Trying to say the pressure and stress isn’t comparable was silly. Any student athlete knows what pressure is regardless of level or major.

You’re right - however, the D3 grudge stands out to me as I’ve noticed it in previous posts, as well.

Apr 26, 2019
I did a search and came up short. If this has been covered please direct me to the thread.

We have started looking at colleges/universities for DD. She would like to play softball at the college level. Not sure what level she'll end up at and we are casting a wide net in our search. We are hoping to identify multiple schools at each level (D1, D2, D3, NAIA) to investigate and target over the next couple of years.

She is currently thinking engineering as a major (mechanical or aerospace), though I recognize this may change over the next 3+ years. There are obvious choices for schools with that field of study. What I was hoping to get from the collective knowledge on DFS is identification of schools that might not be easily recognized. Specifically smaller schools that have softball programs. Even better if there is first hand knowledge that playing softball and enrollment/success in the engineering program is compatible. We have already talked to one school where the coaching staff was not sure if an athlete could do both.

Hopefully my request makes sense. DD preference is more towards the west coast but we are not ruling out any location at the moment.

Thanks!
I'm not trying to be rude but why are you asking us to do your research for you? I'm certain you could do an internet search for top ranked whatever engineering program. From there you can determine which schools have softball programs (I did just this for one of the majors. Many/most do.)

You are welcome. I just explained how to get your answer. And please, do not mistake my matter of fastness for being rude or disrespectful.

Aug 9, 2021
I'm not trying to be rude but why are you asking us to do your research for you? I'm certain you could do an internet search for top ranked whatever engineering program. From there you can determine which schools have softball programs (I did just this for one of the majors. Many/most do.)

You are welcome. I just explained how to get your answer. And please, do not mistake my matter of fastness for being rude or disrespectful.
I'm not sure what "matter of fastness" means, but thanks for taking the time to post this and enlightening us on how the internet works.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45