Recommendations for a 1st basemans glove?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
DD is 5'11" and 16U
What size 1st basemans glove would you recommend?
What are good make models?
(trying to keep this experiment under $100)

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would suggest you try Ebay to see if you can find a used first baseman's glove. My DD is only 14U, but it has been my experience over the years that very few 1st basemen like/use a first basemans mitt. Most of the girls prefer a regular fielding glove.

Dec 7, 2011
Hmmm - I have been hearing that.

Wonder if I should just buy a bigger version of her current glove - assuming a bigger glove at first base still makes sense...?

Sep 18, 2011
DD played 1B for a third of the season before being moved to 3B. She was an amazing defensive first baseman and used the 13" Louisville Slugger Valkyrie mitt which, I noticed, was very popular. Easy to break in, relatively cheap (under $100). I highly recommend it.

Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
Get her as much glove as she can handle. My 5'10" DD uses a 14" Glovesmith and loves it. (That's the glove in my profile picture, definitely not under $100.) Her high school coach compared it to a hockey goalie's catcher. Louisville used to make a 14" Zephyr model, which DD also used. Some searching might turn up a used one, though 13" seems to be the largest you'll find new nowadays.

Dec 7, 2011
DD here is mostly pitching and might never leave the mound BUT when she is needed it will be first base. Somebody got into her head that there is extra padding in a 1st base glove and she drove me to get one of those. I just ordered the 13" Louisville Slugger Valkyrie for $60. In the world of TB this will be a rather inexpensive experiment. If this type of glove really sinks in with her I will definitely look into the Glovesmith - looks nice....

Thanks all!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
DD here is mostly pitching and might never leave the mound BUT when she is needed it will be first base. Somebody got into her head that there is extra padding in a 1st base glove and she drove me to get one of those. I just ordered the 13" Louisville Slugger Valkyrie for $60. In the world of TB this will be a rather inexpensive experiment. If this type of glove really sinks in with her I will definitely look into the Glovesmith - looks nice....

Thanks all!

If she does not like it, you can always sell it on Ebay and get most of your money back!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan