Rec vs. Travel conflict... Please help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
MadHornet your right...union, non union has nothing to do with it. I have to admit I wrote last post while emotionally heated....my bad, I'm human. I shouldn't have clicked the 'Post Quick Reply' button. Loyalty however is not as common as it once was IMO.

And here's a prime opportunity for a Dad (who, remember, also happens to be a coach of his DD's rec team and member of the Park league Board) to demonstrate that their word and loyalty to the organization they committed to first is good. That one team is rec and the other is travel are irrelevant. And DGO, you have my respect for admitting you were wrong - we've all been there before!

May 25, 2010
I don't see her entire set of values getting screwed up over it.

You're right - it's possible that this child was already screwed up by her parents.

If not, though, then the dad really ought to do the right thing here. I know most of you are softball people, but he referred to his DD as an '03' instead of simply stating her age. That and his apparent obsession with 8u TB are red flags. Crazy has to called what it is.

OP - I'm glad that you're coaching, but the April-May games mean very little to your DD's future TB team, yet mean a lot to her rec team. If you think leaving your rec team hanging is the right thing to do, then go for it.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
SoftSocDad.... Where do you see anything that would even remotely suggest an obsession with travel or a crazy dad? I referred to her as an '03 because it does make a difference. It makes a difference in rec ball. For us a '03 is a first year 8u player. She just moved out of 6u. For most kids there is a big difference between a '02 and a '03 both physically and emotionally. Because she is a January birthfay she will alway be one of the older kids in her age group.

I am sorry if 8u travel doesn't seem normal for parts of the country but softball has exploded in the southeast. It's not like we will be heading to Colorado for an exposure tourney. It gives kids who want to play against better competition the chance to. I know there are parents that push it on their kids and I have those parents in rec as well. I am blessed to have a DD who does well at anything athletically as well as being in the gifted program at school. I never have to ask her to practice because she always beats me to it. I normally am the one who has to make her take a break. She is always waiting on me to get home to hit or throw and thats after she has been shooting baskets in the driveway for two hours after school.

Every kid and parent is different. I was simply asking in the op for others opinions on this particular matter because I am sure others on this forum have ran into the issue and know how they dealt with it and how they felt afterwards.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Making a simple decision about youth sports for our kids at the age of 8 will never, ever have a life long impact for the huge majority of people. There will be people who criticize you for whatever decision you make. None of that matters. Do what you think is right.

Dec 28, 2008
I think others fear with "lifelong impact" is that quitting and breaking your word is always hardest the first time. After that it gets easier and easier to justify. Likewise, making a commitment to keeping ones word is always much harder the first time and then becomes much easier afterwards.

Travel softball has exploded in the southeast. As much as I love softball, some of that explosion has actually been a bad thing. More teams, playing younger doesn't necessarily equate to players playing better as they get older because coaching clinics and training hasn't exploded with it. Coaches that are not trained typically do more harm to a player than her not playing at all. Others end up burned out because travel ball takes almost their entire life. Communicating with a 16 year old makes the process much easier because she can verbalize and knows the difference between having a bad day/week and deciding that she's done with ball. Communicating with a 7 year old is much harder, they say "I don't want to play anymore" and parents often, and many times rightly so, here I need to be pushed to continue. A young players love for the game and playing tournaments the first time is usually pretty easy. It's the third weekend in a row, when she has to miss her best friends birthdays when the rubber really starts hitting the road.

My advice is to not jump into travel ball based on just 1 weekend's experience. It is a huge committment of time, energy and patience. For some it's a wonderful thing, for others jumping into it to soon is very detrimental. But it is a HUGE decision to make. I admire you for realizing that ahead of time and looking for input from others who've gone through the entire process.

Mar 28, 2011
Lots of comments on commitment. IMO the life lesson I see can be compaired with your career. If opportuniy presents itself to upgrade your future are you gonna grab it or let it slip through your hands? Look at loyalty in the working world. How many employers (non union) keep certain employees based soley on commitment. Its a dog eat dog world. Arguments and opinions are valid with both scenerio's. As parents I think most choose whats best for thier children long term. Some see it one way while others see it different. If either choice turns out to be a mistake so be it....thats how we learn. Born to make mistakes....its what humans do :)

I was solidly in the "commitment camp" until I read this post, MADE ME THINK, it's is indeed a good argument, BUT not all of our decisions effect a career path. If she was in High Scholl with a potential future in the sport I would be more inclined to agree. Sometimes it boils down to building character and integrity. Last year one 10U coach jumped ship in the middle of a season with his DD to go to a Travel Ball club. I would be willing to bet he is in the "dog-eat-dog" camp. Think about the lesson he taught HIS daughter. That poor team was devastated; The ME first approach is applicable sometimes, just not in this case.

Oct 19, 2009
I had a player leave their rec team last year to play TB mid season. She was absolutely miserable on that rec team. The team was horrible, the coaches clueless and they rostered 16 players! Of course they roster batted so she sometimes got up twice a game. I thought her parents did the right thing. Once she started in travel the smile came back on this kid's face. The head coach of the rec team wasn't the slightest bit upset. Yes she is travel caliber.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
You're right - it's possible that this child was already screwed up by her parents.

If not, though, then the dad really ought to do the right thing here. I know most of you are softball people, but he referred to his DD as an '03' instead of simply stating her age. That and his apparent obsession with 8u TB are red flags. Crazy has to called what it is.

OP - I'm glad that you're coaching, but the April-May games mean very little to your DD's future TB team, yet mean a lot to her rec team. If you think leaving your rec team hanging is the right thing to do, then go for it.

I really don't see 8U TB softball as any different than say Club/Select soccer. There are always some top players who are very good at a sport and have a real interest in taking their game to the next level and to play against similar competition. Why not give them an outlet to play at a higher level and probably with a more experienced level of coaching. I see 8U TB and club soccer teams all the time and the level of instruction the players get is nothing short of amazing. For the most part, the kids really respond well. Absolutely nothing wrong with rec ball but the better players should be afforded the opportunity to challenge themselves, as long as they are enjoying the game.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd