Rec vs. Travel conflict... Please help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
Perhaps you wait until you are closer to that conflict to decide. If the rec team is in contention for a championship she needs to be with them. If they are middle of the road or bottom feeders, go play the travel game and let someone else get more playing time.

Jun 13, 2010
I am a big believer in commiting and following through with commitment. LL and travel ball dont conflict here much at all since Travel is so far away and the few who do it wait until LL is over.
She is awfull young and that is on your side I would say stay with Rec and her commitment Espesially if it is a good Program.

Jul 9, 2010
8U travel ball? Are you kidding me? Why are people so anxious to rush their DD's off to travel ball at that age? Isn't it coach pitch?

You will have lots of opportunity to get burned out on travel ball. And believe, you will get burned out along the way. It seems sort of silly to start that at this age.

Plus, if you were on the rec team first, that's where I'd put first emphasis.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
We've become a society of me, me, me and entitlement. As parents, we all want to do what's best for our child; however, what's seems best for your child this minute, may not be best in the long run. Honoring a committment, no matter how much we want to do something else, is a life lesson that should be taught. I agree that some children miss rec ball for birthday parties, hanging out with friends, etc, but that doesn't mean everyone should. If a birthday party or vacation is scheduled prior to committing to a team, then make it known to the team up front there is a prior committment; otherwise, don't let the rest of the team down. It doesn't matter if your DD is the best player on the team, or the weakest. The lesson is what's important.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
I echo what jinjet95 said. She already commited to rec, so it is important to honor that commitment. I also believe the best way to improve is to play with, and against the best teams possible. Rec ball should come first, this year. Next year, she can decide what she wants before signing up for either team.

Lots of comments on commitment. IMO the life lesson I see can be compaired with your career. If opportuniy presents itself to upgrade your future are you gonna grab it or let it slip through your hands? Look at loyalty in the working world. How many employers (non union) keep certain employees based soley on commitment. Its a dog eat dog world. Arguments and opinions are valid with both scenerio's. As parents I think most choose whats best for thier children long term. Some see it one way while others see it different. If either choice turns out to be a mistake so be it....thats how we learn. Born to make mistakes....its what humans do :)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Lots of comments on commitment. IMO the life lesson I see can be compaired with your career. If opportuniy presents itself to upgrade your future are you gonna grab it or let it slip through your hands? Look at loyalty in the working world. How many employers (non union) keep certain employees based soley on commitment. Its a dog eat dog world. Arguments and opinions are valid with both scenerio's. As parents I think most choose whats best for thier children long term. Some see it one way while others see it different. If either choice turns out to be a mistake so be it....thats how we learn. Born to make mistakes....its what humans do :)

If one believes changing jobs and skipping a rec game for a 8U travel game are comparable life changes then one must really be a crazy SB parent!

Oct 19, 2009

What the heck does non union have to do with it? I own a non-union contracting company and we reward employees who show commitment.

Aside from that I agree with your point. I know a lot of people want to analogize this with a life lesson but it's one game for an 8 YO. If it's of no consequence to the team she can miss it and let someone else step up. I don't see her entire set of values getting screwed up over it.

Jul 28, 2008
If it were my own daughter, she would fulfill her first commitment first.

On a side note, I'm still trying to wrap my head around an 8U travel team.

What the heck does non union have to do with it? I own a non-union contracting company and we reward employees who show commitment.

MadHornet your right...union, non union has nothing to do with it. I have to admit I wrote last post while emotionally heated....my bad, I'm human. I shouldn't have clicked the 'Post Quick Reply' button. Loyalty however is not as common as it once was IMO.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd