rank the softball hotbeds in the U.S.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2012
What? No KC? I was just looking at the all the pretty colors there......ON THE RADAR!

yes....there is thunder storms here in KC today and 60 degrees, but 80 degrees tomorrow and 82 degrees and sunny for Saturday's invite event....the weather has been pretty darn good the last 4-5 weeks, but below the normal average temperatures a little....we have played in 3 tournaments so far its been really nice IMO...it was cold one Saturday night (4-5-14)

as for "hot bed" talent wise....Kansas City the last two years (2013's and 2014's) has produced about 100 kids to college programs (all levels) ....and 2015's is well on it's way to the number again....

KC Metro Players - To which college are they headed? (Class of 2013) - KC Fastpitch

KC Metro Players - To which college are they headed? (Class of 2014) - KC Fastpitch

KC Metro Players - To which college are they headed? (2015 and younger) - KC Fastpitch

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
What? No KC? I was just looking at the all the pretty colors there......ON THE RADAR!

I say KC is there. we may have weather but we have several indoor fields as in complete fields that we play tournies in year round ;)

And those that say we don't have teams.....the upcoming memorial weekend tourney (two of them asa and usssa) have a combined 400 teams in them so far...........

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
While up here TDA in North Dakota I took in a game at Minot State University (DII). It was a balmy 40 degrees or so with a 20mph "breeze". It snowed a couple of days prior but they obviously had a contingency plan.

20140419_134254.jpg

Apparently they have yet to play a home game on clay and grass. Given the weather conditions the play was pretty impressive including a walk off 3 run dinger to secure a run rule win. Unfortunately I did not have the clothing to sit through game #2.

Aug 6, 2013
Look for Ohio and Western PA to be growth area's in the coming years -

The number of teams, Quality of play and number of girls being recruited is steadily growing.

We will never be Cali or Texas or Fla - but a growing force none the less.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
1) So Cal
2) No Cal
3) Fla, GA, TX
4) Everywhere else.

And that is not to say that other states aren't producing great players and teams - just that these states produce a huge volume of players.

The HS my DD will attend has 9 seniors on the varsity team this year (only 6 of them start regularly). All 9 of them are playing college softball next year (four div 1, two div 2, three div 3). And two of the Div 3 players are Div 1 talents but are going to schools for the major they offer. Last year their #2 and #3 pitchers graduated - one is now a #1 for a Div 1 college and the other is a #1 for a Div 3 nationally ranked team. There are 3 other High Schools in the county that are similar and several which are getting closer to this every year. Unbelievable depth.

Sep 18, 2011
I'll rank them for you. Here's my unbiased and fairly scientific opiniion:

1. Minnesota
2. South Dakota
3. Michigan
4. Nebraska
5. Iowa
6. Missouri

and then there is a rather significant drop off, but I do believe there are a few teams out west and down south.

Apr 11, 2012
1) So Cal
2) No Cal
3) Fla, GA, TX
4) Everywhere else.

And that is not to say that other states aren't producing great players and teams - just that these states produce a huge volume of players.

it's impossible to dispute that list....

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Spent some time in CA back in the day and the softball is great. Lived just a few miles from the flight line at MCAS El Toro. The 20 minute commute to work got old pretty quick. Thank god I did not have to pay the state taxes. Do not know how people do it. Cannot imagine going back.

Mar 26, 2013
GA, FL, TX, AZ and CA would be my top 5.
Some observations just looking at just travel softball over the past few years:
- GA has consistently produced some very impressive teams that compete on a national level.
- FL and TX are strong, but haven't done much against the best lately on the national level.
- AZ has gone from just producing a few players for SoCal teams to producing some strong teams.
- CA has lost ground as other areas are catching up and major SoCal orgs are franchising teams.

I think the early college recruiting has hurt the overall development of players and teams.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44