Question on obstruction/interference

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2010
Batter pops up in the infleid right in font of the plate. Catcher steps forward and catches it clean. Runner on second is on her way to third w/o tagging up. Catcher lasers it out to SS who is strattling second expecting the slide. Runner is hustling back to second and doesn't slide. Takes the ball right in the small of the back in front of the base before she touched the base (she let up on her run and was reaching with her foot to touch the bag directly in front of the base). Runner is ruled safe.

I tried arguing (weakly I might add) that the runner s/b out b/c she didn't slide and it hindered my SS from making a play. I was over-ruled, wasn't too concerned about it given the score.

But I'm wondering, was that the right call?

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I'm not an umpire, but I would say yes they made the right call. No rule saying the runner has to slide. Blues can correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that the defense has the right to a batted ball in which if the runner interfers with the defense attempting to make the play the runner may be called out. On a thrown ball unless the runner shows that she intentionally got in the way of the defense trying to catch the ball then it's just a play-on.

Oct 19, 2009
No interference. Ideally SS would have had one foot on bag stretching toward catcher since it wasn't a tag play. Not sure if she had time to get in that position but it would have taken the runner out of the play.

Mar 13, 2010
Batter pops up in the infleid right in font of the plate. Catcher steps forward and catches it clean. Runner on second is on her way to third w/o tagging up. Catcher lasers it out to SS who is strattling second expecting the slide. Runner is hustling back to second and doesn't slide. Takes the ball right in the small of the back in front of the base before she touched the base (she let up on her run and was reaching with her foot to touch the bag directly in front of the base). Runner is ruled safe.

I tried arguing (weakly I might add) that the runner s/b out b/c she didn't slide and it hindered my SS from making a play. I was over-ruled, wasn't too
concerned about it given the score.

But I'm wondering, was that the right call?

The runner did nothing wrong. No interference. Play on.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06