Qualifying for USSSA World Series

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I guess every state/region is different. In 2011, dd's team was playing ASA and USSSA Tournaments. In the end, we were one tournament short for the USSSA National Tournament in Orlando, Fl. Our director would not just give us a bye. We had to travel and get in that last tournament to qualify. As it turned out, it was a great experience and really geared the girls up for the Nationals. However, as a parent, it sure hit the pocketbook hard travelling a few hundred miles to win a tournament to travel even more hundred miles and stay for a week long tournament. Still, what a great event that National turned out to be.

15-1_p19a.jpg

My DD is the tallest one in the back row.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2009
I'll probably get flamed for this, but in my experience the easy way to "qualify" for USSSA world series is to call the state USSSA director and ask. Maybe it's just my state. But I doubt it.

Edit- Just noticed marriard beat me to the punch, so it's not just here where this happens.

I think any team with a checkbook can "qualify" for the USSSA world series.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I think any team with a checkbook can "qualify" for the USSSA world series.

To be fair it is not just USSSA. For the most part none of the orgs are turning away a team who has the cash to play.

We were talking about it for next year - we are not going to play any 'B' world series because there is always 5-10 'A' teams there. We will go as a second year 'A' team the following year (and play 'A')

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I disagree. What if your team has a tough draw and other teams get to play a few cupcakes that are 'not good'. I'm not usually a stickler for rules but in this situation I disagree

Teams that are allowed to play without qualifying aren't necessarily cupcakes, and they are rare, so they don't have much of an impact. But assuming that they are cupcakes, what I hear you saying is that you'd have a better tournament if you've got a bunch of fairly evenly matched B+/B teams rather than a wider range that includes cupcakes (B+/B/B/C+/F). ... The wider the range of competition, the more likely that your draw might be easy or hard.

I get that, but the draw is determined by your finish in pool play. So these cupcakes are going to be seeded low in the main draw. So it's highly unlikely that you'll get 3-4 cupcakes in one quarter of the draw and none in another. Pool play helps balance the draw that matters.

Aside from that, I don't care if somebody gets a better draw. It's the B division. Whoever wins it was probably an A team anyway. I say just play and don't worry about it. If somebody wants the experience of Disney, and it's the B division, and they are innocuous, let 'em play.

Oct 22, 2010
Looking at USSSA C tourney it appears that several teams without any games in that association were added right before it closed. If a USFA team wants to play and it hasn't filled up why not. 28 team bracket is better than a 22 team bracket. Put as many teams in as possible, but give priority to teams "loyal" to the association.

Jun 15, 2013
Then we might as well just have one big WS tourney and forget about qualifying, team classification, etc. we can save some money and not play as many USSSA tourneys. We could do more league, ASA, USFA,etc. if an association has rules and does not abide by them then 1. It is not a very credible association 2. Why should we be expected to follow the rules?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Then we might as well just have one big WS tourney and forget about qualifying, team classification, etc. we can save some money and not play as many USSSA tourneys. We could do more league, ASA, USFA,etc. if an association has rules and does not abide by them then 1. It is not a very credible association 2. Why should we be expected to follow the rules?

1) Because you have to play somewhere and you go where the competittion is no matter what organization is runing the tournament. We played primarily USSSA this season because most of the local tournaments are under their org. But we also played ASA, NSA and USFA tournaments. Qualifying is mostly a joke as long as the check clears - No one who wants to play in a 'A' division is going to be a 'B' team so you might as well let them in and take the money. As another 'A' team I want to play them anyway. It is in 'B' where the main issues occur as mid-lower 'A' teams drop down to try and win a WS because they can.

2) In my mind none of them are very credible associations.

3) No one cares beyond the team that wins that you won the ABCD 10UB World Series (North).

Jun 15, 2013
Marriard....all good points. We play USSSA also because that is where most of the tourneys/competition is.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoebeschultz