Proper way to fill out lineup card with DP if you want them to field in the first inning NFHS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
Because maybe you have a good all around player that is good at any number of positions including catcher, but a girl that is also good at catcher but not so good at other positions but has a big bat. You use the girl good at more positions as the DP because she can freely go in and out of all of the defensive positions except the Flex with nothing happening to the lineup. You dont even have to report it to the umpire except if they are playing catcher or pitcher for courtesy runner reasons.

Dec 19, 2023
Because maybe you have a good all around player that is good at any number of positions including catcher, but a girl that is also good at catcher but not so good at other positions but has a big bat. You use the girl good at more positions as the DP because she can freely go in and out of all of the defensive positions except the Flex with nothing happening to the lineup. You dont even have to report it to the umpire except if they are playing catcher or pitcher for courtesy runner reasons.

I suppose. But everyone on defense can play any position they want without having to report it to the ump, unless it's P or C, so I don't see the difference.

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong. I always though DP was like your DH, with the added benefit they can go onto the field anytime for any player without affecting anyone in the batting order. If they go onto field in place of the flex, that eliminates the flex from the lineup. So I always thought the DP would be the player that wouldn't be playing a defensive position to start the game. If they're going to start the game at C, why go through the trouble of listing them as the DP, then having to report that they're in at C when the 1st inning starts?

Jun 22, 2008
How hard is it to say blue, my DP #19 is going to play catcher? What did that take, 3 seconds?

Dec 19, 2023
How hard is it to say blue, my DP #19 is going to play catcher? What did that take, 3 seconds?
Yes not hard. Sorry, I was just trying to understand the reasoning for listing someone as a DP in the starting lineup when they will be on defense in the 1st inning anyway.

And to better understand strategy/thinking of DP/Flex. I always assumed the flex was a top 9 defensive player on your roster but a weak hitter. So the DP is used to hit for the flex, since the DP doesnt need to play defense but does have the option to. So DP is top 9 hitter, but weaker defender. But maybe I'm looking at it wrong.

May 29, 2015
Enjoying the questions and explanations. I get DP/Flex from an umpire perspective, but admittedly don't follow coaches' logic on what they are doing (or think they are doing) most of the time.

Jul 22, 2015
These type of lineup changes at the plate involving the DP make the most sense when either the DP or the original player listed as pitcher both hit well and are both expected to pitch at some point during the game. That way your lineup never changes and you don't sub or re-enter anyone.

Aug 5, 2022
I suppose. But everyone on defense can play any position they want without having to report it to the ump, unless it's P or C, so I don't see the difference.

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong. I always though DP was like your DH, with the added benefit they can go onto the field anytime for any player without affecting anyone in the batting order. If they go onto field in place of the flex, that eliminates the flex from the lineup. So I always thought the DP would be the player that wouldn't be playing a defensive position to start the game. If they're going to start the game at C, why go through the trouble of listing them as the DP, then having to report that they're in at C when the 1st inning starts?

They don’t eliminate the flex at all if they go in the field as the flex and the dp can play defense at the same time and both be on the field

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 8, 2009
Florida
For the OP, yes you must name those players in the lineup. There are many way to use the DP/Flex option. The most obvious is what was stated, you have a good hitter (average fielder) , and a good fielder (average hitter. But let's say you have a pitcher #1 that also is one of your better hitters and fielders. And your relief pitcher #2 is there to just throw. #1 would be the DP, #2 the Flex. At the plate meeting you reduce the lineup to nine by subbing the DP for the Flex. Flex is out. Later on, you return the lineup to ten by reentering #2. #2 is now also the pitcher of record, #1 still is hitting, and you also have the option of placing #1 on defense somewhere else if wanted (or not) .

Dec 19, 2023
For the OP, yes you must name those players in the lineup. There are many way to use the DP/Flex option. The most obvious is what was stated, you have a good hitter (average fielder) , and a good fielder (average hitter. But let's say you have a pitcher #1 that also is one of your better hitters and fielders. And your relief pitcher #2 is there to just throw. #1 would be the DP, #2 the Flex. At the plate meeting you reduce the lineup to nine by subbing the DP for the Flex. Flex is out. Later on, you return the lineup to ten by reentering #2. #2 is now also the pitcher of record, #1 still is hitting, and you also have the option of placing #1 on defense somewhere else if wanted (or not) .
Never thought of this and I see the strategy behind it now. When you know #2 is not a hitter but she will be pitching in relief, start her as the flex so that when she comes in to pitch she is re-entering the lineup as a flex, she won't be in the batting order. Assuming she's a pitcher only, we don't have to worry that we're using her 1 re-entry because we'll only use her to pitch and then once we pull her she's done for the game.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T Town travel coach