Professionalism of umpires

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2010
Anything within 3 feet of the catcher was a strike...

Earlier this year I was umping an 8U game and I would have given anything for pitches to have been within 3 feet of the plate. Between innings I had a talk with the coaches and they both agreed that anything remotely hittable would be a strike even if it was clearly a ball. I still think I only called a handful of strikes all game.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I start videotaping, if i am a spectator, when I see these types of actions. I haven't ever used them, but i think almost every parent has a video camera on their phone.

May 12, 2010
Chicago Area
the other coach reminded me of something else this "umpire" said to us when we complained about his son back slapping with the host team's coaches..

"it's just a girls tournament for a $5 plastic trophy"

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
the other coach reminded me of something else this "umpire" said to us when we complained about his son back slapping with the host team's coaches..

"it's just a girls tournament for a $5 plastic trophy"

Oh, that just makes me mad. Don't they realize how hard many of these players work for months at a time? It is just plain disrespectful.

May 12, 2010
Chicago Area
Oh, that just makes me mad. Don't they realize how hard many of these players work for months at a time? It is just plain disrespectful.

you're not kidding, why they keep him around is so far beyond me it's incredible. I think the board of that organization are the real criminals in all of this.

Mar 13, 2010
Unprofessional behavior from an umpire is unacceptable at any level of softball. I'm always front and center on this Forum at advocating, explaining, and defending the umpire's position and/or point of view when it becomes the subject of a thread. All I can say here to Miker and Pride is that in a game, whether you agree or disagree with the umpire; have a like or dislike for the umpire; you DESERVE to have an umpire act as a professional, and deal with you your staff and team in a professional businesslike manner.
SoCalDad's reply with the Umpire Code of Ethics is something that every softball governing body has published in their rule book and/or umpire's manual. As umpires we are expected to abide by it as it is written, just like we are expected to see that both teams abide by Playing Rules as they are written.

Hanging out with coaches watching a game in progress is not what an umpire should be doing between assignments. Want to watch? The get out of your uniform shirt and umpire shoes, put on a T shirt and hat (that has nothing indicating you are an ump on it), find a secluded spot and watch the game from there.
Run into a coach between games who maybe knows you from having worked their games and they say Hi to you?...say hi, exchange a quick pleasantry and keep moving.
During a game? After our pre-game meeting at home plate, unless you or a member of your coaching staff have a lineup change or a question, I have no reason to be talking to any of you (same goes for my partner). You and your staff are there to coach the game, we're there to umpire the game. Neither of us are there to be buddy buddy.This does not make any of us bad people. We're simply all there to do a job in a competitive and most times intense environment. As such, professional conduct and behavior on the part of the umpiring crew AND both coaching staffs has to be the rule, not the exception.

May 12, 2010
Chicago Area
Unprofessional behavior from an umpire is unacceptable at any level of softball. I'm always front and center on this Forum at advocating, explaining, and defending the umpire's position and/or point of view when it becomes the subject of a thread. All I can say here to Miker and Pride is that in a game, whether you agree or disagree with the umpire; have a like or dislike for the umpire; you DESERVE to have an umpire act as a professional, and deal with you your staff and team in a professional businesslike manner.
SoCalDad's reply with the Umpire Code of Ethics is something that every softball governing body has published in their rule book and/or umpire's manual. As umpires we are expected to abide by it as it is written, just like we are expected to see that both teams abide by Playing Rules as they are written.

Hanging out with coaches watching a game in progress is not what an umpire should be doing between assignments. Want to watch? The get out of your uniform shirt and umpire shoes, put on a T shirt and hat (that has nothing indicating you are an ump on it), find a secluded spot and watch the game from there.
Run into a coach between games who maybe knows you from having worked their games and they say Hi to you?...say hi, exchange a quick pleasantry and keep moving.
During a game? After our pre-game meeting at home plate, unless you or a member of your coaching staff have a lineup change or a question, I have no reason to be talking to any of you (same goes for my partner). You and your staff are there to coach the game, we're there to umpire the game. Neither of us are there to be buddy buddy.This does not make any of us bad people. We're simply all there to do a job in a competitive and most times intense environment. As such, professional conduct and behavior on the part of the umpiring crew AND both coaching staffs has to be the rule, not the exception.

thanks for the post FPump, would love to show it to the board of the org these guys work for, they obviously don't share your professional attitude toward umpiring, seems it's just a "job" to them and one they don't take very seriously.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG