Professionalism of umpires

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2010
Chicago Area
had a rec tournament in an adjacent town this weekend in which we had some problems with an umpire. The UIC in this organization has a track record of unprofessional behavior, I know the police had to be called regarding one incident a couple years back and he was fired from a Fall Ball league for arguing with coaches. He has an exceedingly short fuse. This gentleman's son was umping one of our games and apparently he has learned well from his father.

We had a couple of calls go against us that I went onto the field for explanations for. This young man offered little to any explanation and for the second call started yelling to me to leave the playing field immediately, on my way to the dugout he started screaming as he apparently thought my third base coach was me still on the field and never did admit his mistake. He blew his top, made a scene on the field and definitely over reacted.

All that aside, the thing that bothered us the most was the ump in question was hanging out, laughing, hobknobbing etc with the coaches from the other team which happened to be from the host organization. He might as well have been in the dugout with them between every inning. This to me looks bad at best.

I addressed it with the UIC (remember the ump in question's father) and he wouldn't even discuss it, saying things like "your umps do it too" and "I understand when you're losing"...I stopped him before he could finish. I don't think those 2 things have anything to do with it.

The worst thing was as we were walking away, the UIC a few steps in front of us, said something to his son as we passed by and he stepped into our path and screamed that he could talk to whoever he wanted to and it was a free country etc, etc. The ump's father stepped in between his son and my coach, and asked us to leave. I asked the UIC if he thought his son was acting in a correct manner as an ump and he said "you guys are antagonizing him"...we weren't.

We tried to leave several times and the UIC / his son would bark something every time we turned around to leave. I saw a board member of this organization standing nearby and tried to ask him for assistance and the UIC screamed at me that he was a board member and we should leave. As we turned to go, he again screamed at us and continued to do so the whole way out. Turns out the UIC is a Vice President of the organization.

Just wondered what everyone thinks about umps fraternizing with the home team while the game is going on. It really bothered some of my girls and I think I should have at least been allowed to log a complaint, except that the UIC was his dad and also a VP of the league...there has to be some kind of conflict of interest there somewhere.

Jan 15, 2009
There are lots of tourney's out there competeing for your money. If that is how this one is run, I'd go elsewhere next year and suggest that to your other coaches as well.

Mar 15, 2010
This season due to conduct and professionalism issues my local rec league switched umpire organizations after having used the previous for 15+ years. One of the deciding factors in selecting the new umpire organization was the code of ethics the UIC holds his umpires to. I highlighted #4 as that was the #1 complaint of the previous organization. I just wished more umpire orgs would publish their code of ethics and would hold their crews to the standard.

UMPIRE CODE OF ETHICS
1. Honor all accepted assignments regardless of possible inconvenience or financial reward.
2. Study the rules of the game diligently, observe the work of other good umpires, and attempt to improve at all times.
3. Attend as many rule clinics, training camps and other training opportunities as possible.
4. Remember that, while your work as an umpire is important, you must conduct yourself in such a way that spectator attention is directed to the players during the game and not you.
5. Dress and maintain your appearance in a manner befitting the dignity and importance of the umpire.
6. Be fair and unbiased in your decisions, rendering them without regard to the score or the quality of the play on the field.
7. Be firm but not overbearing; positive but never rude. Remember the good umpire doesn’t have to have the last word.
8. Be prepared both physically and mentally to administer the game.
9. Do not give information that might be used by a team’s future opponent.
10. Cooperate and be professional in your associations with your fellow umpires and do nothing to cause them public embarrassment.
11. Do not make comments or give opinions concerning any umpire, ruling, play, team, coach, etc. in any form of media including verbal or written communication.
12. Do not use tobacco products on or in the vicinity of the playing field or the athletic facility.
13. Do not use (including opening) any alcoholic beverages before; during, or after the games you are assigned to work in the vicinity of the playing field or athletic facility
(including the parking lot).
14. Adhere to all Federal, State and County Rules, Laws and Ordinances at any and all ASA functions to include you as an umpire, as a representative of ASA or as a spectator.

May 12, 2010
Chicago Area
This season due to conduct and professionalism issues my local rec league switched umpire organizations after having used the previous for 15+ years. One of the deciding factors in selecting the new umpire organization was the code of ethics the UIC holds his umpires to. I highlighted #4 as that was the #1 complaint of the previous organization. I just wished more umpire orgs would publish their code of ethics and would hold their crews to the standard.

UMPIRE CODE OF ETHICS
1. Honor all accepted assignments regardless of possible inconvenience or financial reward.
2. Study the rules of the game diligently, observe the work of other good umpires, and attempt to improve at all times.
3. Attend as many rule clinics, training camps and other training opportunities as possible.
4. Remember that, while your work as an umpire is important, you must conduct yourself in such a way that spectator attention is directed to the players during the game and not you.
5. Dress and maintain your appearance in a manner befitting the dignity and importance of the umpire.
6. Be fair and unbiased in your decisions, rendering them without regard to the score or the quality of the play on the field.
7. Be firm but not overbearing; positive but never rude. Remember the good umpire doesn’t have to have the last word.
8. Be prepared both physically and mentally to administer the game.
9. Do not give information that might be used by a team’s future opponent.
10. Cooperate and be professional in your associations with your fellow umpires and do nothing to cause them public embarrassment.
11. Do not make comments or give opinions concerning any umpire, ruling, play, team, coach, etc. in any form of media including verbal or written communication.
12. Do not use tobacco products on or in the vicinity of the playing field or the athletic facility.
13. Do not use (including opening) any alcoholic beverages before; during, or after the games you are assigned to work in the vicinity of the playing field or athletic facility
(including the parking lot).
14. Adhere to all Federal, State and County Rules, Laws and Ordinances at any and all ASA functions to include you as an umpire, as a representative of ASA or as a spectator.

#4 was the biggest problem with these 2, followed closely by#7, I couldn't get off the field or out of the complex without them barking behind me all the way.

I just don't understand why a rec organization would keep people like this around, they usually blame not being able to find anybody to take their place, but this person is one misunderstanding away from the police having to be called at all times....and they made him a VP on top of it. Both my girls mentioned that they are scared of him.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Overly friendly umps can backfire on you. . .;-) Sorry for the long post but it was funny--NOT ;-)

We had an interesting couple of games with a gentleman this weekend. I will call him Mr. Happy-go-lucky. ;-). Very good natured guy. Smiles, hustles. But one terrible umpire.

Batter lays down bunt, beats the throw by two steps, “Out”. Ok, I think, he just missed one. He then proceeds to tell first base coach, “oops, I missed one. Not really used to doing 10s. I usually only do men’s.”

New inning, B2 walks on wild pitch and B1 stealing third, catcher throws down, close. “Safe! TIME!” B2 was just at first when Mr. Happy-go-lucky yelled time.

I politely went out and asked why B2 was on second. He said he inadvertently called time when she was in between the bases so she gets second. WHAT? I asked how can you guess she would have been safe at second. “I made a mistake, so the batter will stay at second.” HUH????

We did win that game. Had another game right away. I am trying to get lineup ready when Mr. Happy-go-lucky comes up to see if we are ready. I ask for a few minutes and he then starts flirting with me and then pokes my hat bill and then tries to grab my pen while I am writing the line up. . .Unbelievable!

During game two, a couple of calls that didn’t go our way, he missed some obstruction calls. He then called a runner out for leaving early. OK, could happen. End of inning.

By this time scorekeeper is livid – DH does the book to keep me, DW, happy--refused to talk to BU who wants to confirm score. Mr. Happy-go-lucky is not so happy now and has PU talk to me about BU not feeling much love from scorekeeper, DH. I kidd you not!!!

Scorekeeper is still grumpy, other team’s scorekeeper is saying that we BOO. I make sure that time has stopped. Our scorekeeper is a little short with the other teams scorekeeper, “What are you trying to pull now.” Their scorekeeper wants to start at the very beginning of the game and wants to go through pitch-by-pitch, batter-by-batter. DH rolls eyes. I give DH the “look”.

In an earlier game when we were “scouting” this team, they repeatedly questioned the umpiring crew. Two that stood out were: the outfielders could not play in on the dirt (they moved them back on the grass) and the old “hands are part of the bat”. ;-) Mr. Happy-go-lucky made the calls.

They get the scorebook to match. She forgot that the batter that was up when the runner got called out gets to finish her at bat.

We ended up scoring a bunch of runs and win by one.

DH--Scorekeeper, goes over to apologize to other team and to umpire. Otherwise, DH will not have a happy two-hour ride home. ;-) Umpire then jokes with him and tells him that “He watched the pitch leave the pitchers hand, and ASSUMED that the runner must have left early because she was two steps off. But I might have made a mistake.”

May 14, 2010
Was acting as scorekeeper in a HS game this spring. Bottom of the 7th in the second game of a DH. PU was obviously in a hurry to get out of there. Anything within 3 feet of the catcher was a strike. When he called out our 2nd batter on an obvious bad pitch, I muttered "Let them play". He went ballistic. Told our coach I had to leave, etc. I moved away quickly, not wanting to become the focus of the game. After the game, he screamed at me, went to his vehicle and sat in a chair behind in it saying F*** this, F*** that all while 2 teams, parents and fans are leaving.

2 days later, I was still annoyed at his conduct. I wrote a 2 page letter to our State Sports association. I didn't complain about his competence, just his professionalism. Said I would see 17yr old kids umpiring rec games this summer that would be much more professional and respectful than their supposed 'experienced professional'. Got no response. Guess the good old boys network was functioning well!