Private HS allowing players that are home schooled

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have or have had a few homeschooled girls take lessons from me. One wanted to play HS ball, so as a junior a Tucson public HS said "Ok, take one class and you are fine." But, now, a private HS a taking any homeschooled girl as long as she pays the sports fee.

Is this only an AZ. thing or are others of you seeing it, too?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We have a very good player on our TB team who is home schooled and to the best of my knowledge she is not allowed to play HS ball, but I am FAR from an expert on the subject.

Sep 18, 2011
Our DD is homeschooled. She can't play public school ball without taking 4 credits (at that point she's really not homeschooled) but she can play for the private school without taking any classes. We'd just need to pay the fee. We choose not to because of conflicts with travel ball but she could.

Mar 25, 2011
I think in Colorado, you just have to declare a 'home' school that will be your primary school. Then, if you want to transfer, you have to suffer transfer penalties. I think they are changing that next year, and if you home school, your default school will be the school you would be 'boundaried' into by default.

Nov 29, 2009
I know in Illinois players can be home schooled an play public school sports. A girl who pitched her team to a 3rd place finish in the 3A division was home schooled.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
In Michigan a home schooled child can play sports for the local public school. Doesn't need to take classes there just live in district. No idea about playing for a private school

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I believe our state's high school sports enrollment rules have been all but tossed out. Athletes are showing up at schools their junior year that are 20 miles away from their home school district. Recruiting has become the norm in basketball.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I know in Illinois players can be home schooled an play public school sports. A girl who pitched her team to a 3rd place finish in the 3A division was home schooled.

In the State of Illinois, the student has to be enrolled in the school and taking 20 credit hours from the school. They also have to be accountable in that, their work per home school, must be able to be "certified" if that student were to enroll in an actual public school.

Oh, forgot to add that the School Board of the district has to vote to approve the participation of the athlete as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meganmichelle