Power line question per a BM analysis post

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Per a post by BM regarding a pitching analysis (Mikes daughter Chelsea) it seems that I've been once again been doing my daughter a disservice.

I have had my daughter leap and land on the power line. In order for her to land on the power line, she would really have to drive far in order to have the time needed to get her shoulders (both) open right over the top the power line. She also had a tough time driving her hips into the pitch as she was basically sideways when she was approaching ball release.

This is what I've taken from Boardmembers post regarding Chelsea and I am hoping that I am getting this correct. If not, please guide me in the proper direction.

When a pitcher leaps, they are leaping to a certain landing point. Getting open would consist of approximately getting your shoulders parallel to an imaginary line drawn from the push foot to the stride landing point regardless of the fact that your entire body is moving forwards, towards the catcher?

YouTube - Jennie Finch as a Kid: Pitching and Stealing Home - Weplay

This is Jenny Finch at 16 pitching and in it she does not appear to get open according to what I thought was correct. I always thought this video was interesting due to her economy of motion but I questioned her "getting open". If one applies what Boardmember has said in a pitchers analysis post, then I think that " Miss Finch" is indeed getting open.

If I am understanding using the power line appropriately, then I have been having my dd basically overrotating her throwing shoulder complex and minimizing the force which she could apply.

Am I interpreting correctly?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The Finch video you posted has two pitches. The second pitch is an over-the-top drop, so her hip closing is exaggerated to facilitate throwing the drop. So, the only pitch of interest is the first pitch. As to the first pitch, it looks to me like she isn't completely getting her upper body open, although her hips are in great position. But, the angle of the camera isn't very good. I would not try to draw anything from a video of any 16YOA pitcher.

We have some great videos posted on this forum of Jenny when she was older that are much better. (Look at the very first thread on this board entitled "Pitching Videos".) If you want to look at videos of Finch, then you should go there. As a warning, Finch was apparently not born but forged on Mt. Olympus. She can do things that mortals can only dream about. Osterman has much better form and is much more consistent.

In order for her to land on the power line, she would really have to drive far in order to have the time needed to get her shoulders (both) open right over the top the power line.

Not really. It is a timing issue.

You may be over-thinking this a little bit. Could you post another video of your DD so we can see what she looks like now?

Attachments

• finch-at-9.JPG
    finch-at-9.JPG
    10.2 KB · Views: 15
  • osterman12.JPG
    osterman12.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 14
Jul 14, 2008
Abby.......You are using the power line just like it's intended.......And that in my opinion is the problem.........You are "over using it"........

As you can see in the clip I made of your DD, she strides straight down the power line established by her drive leg.......

The "power line" is best used for kids who actually step OUT and cause the hips to get closed to early or never get open enough. Your DD is NOT having those issues........

IF your DD was starting with her stride foot "DEAD CENTER" of the pitching plate, and she landed that far out to the left, I'd say that should be addressed. BUT she doesn't. She starts with her PIVOT foot closer to the centerline........And her drive leg fairly far left of center......And steps straight ahead with that leg........THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM......And causing her to get "over" to the centerline with a stride foot that is orientated to the left is, as you've described, detrimental to her sequence........

Per a post by BM regarding a pitching analysis (Mikes daughter Chelsea) it seems that I've been once again been doing my daughter a disservice.

I have had my daughter leap and land on the power line. In order for her to land on the power line, she would really have to drive far in order to have the time needed to get her shoulders (both) open right over the top the power line. She also had a tough time driving her hips into the pitch as she was basically sideways when she was approaching ball release.

This is what I've taken from Boardmembers post regarding Chelsea and I am hoping that I am getting this correct. If not, please guide me in the proper direction.

When a pitcher leaps, they are leaping to a certain landing point. Getting open would consist of approximately getting your shoulders parallel to an imaginary line drawn from the push foot to the stride landing point regardless of the fact that your entire body is moving forwards, towards the catcher?

YouTube - Jennie Finch as a Kid: Pitching and Stealing Home - Weplay

This is Jenny Finch at 16 pitching and in it she does not appear to get open according to what I thought was correct. I always thought this video was interesting due to her economy of motion but I questioned her "getting open". If one applies what Boardmember has said in a pitchers analysis post, then I think that " Miss Finch" is indeed getting open.

If I am understanding using the power line appropriately, then I have been having my dd basically overrotating her throwing shoulder complex and minimizing the force which she could apply.

Am I interpreting correctly?

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
I will have my daughter start driving like mkral's daughter Chelsea in the other clip. I am going to take some video and post tonight before I have her start driving to a different location and then some after. Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12