"Positional Hitting"?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I don't disagree with Chris about the website and info, but I have the bat and haven't used it enough to tell you if it works or not. I believe it works and would be a good training tool for the age girls I have been coaching (10 - 15), but I have not put it to the test. even with my DDs (10 and 15) I only remember to pull it out once in awhile. The results are encouraging, but hasn't been done enough to provide any solid evidence.

The first time I ever saw one of those bats was when a guy did a short presentation at one of our LL coaches meetings a year or so ago. I got to hold it in my hands and try it. Right away I saw how it could help girls get the correct mechanics by feel. I went home and kept thinking about it so I bought one. i don't regret it, but right now it's just another "softball thing in the garage".

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Pass.

The web site is a bunch of mumbo jumbo and bogus claims.

New to these boards. Assuming this is O'Leary from the Oleary.com website.

I have just read the Positional Hitting book. I know nothing of the bat. I would not say it's mumbo jumbo at all. It's still sinking in, but I would claim his positions very much mimic the frame by frame positions you will see some great hitters, such as Pujols, use.

I would need to answer a lot of questions however, before recommending it. Does it really add anything? I love Chris's stuff. Why not just use that, for free, off his site, instead of buying a $27 book? Does the book really add to the discussion of hitting, or is it just re-packaging of knowledge, with some new labels, at a high price?

I found the book to be a little brief and some of the sections were not explained fully.

Even if it is just re-packaging of rotational hitting principles, the question then becomes do Cevallos' drills and video analysis recommendations get the hitter from point A to point B faster and better?

That's just my 2 cents. If I've misunderstood the book and you think it in fact is preaching unsound technique it would be fun to get into details.

Again, it's still sinking in for me.

Nov 1, 2009
I think most training aids for hitting are mumbo jumbo. The truth is all tools work if you will work with the tools. Most training aids are purchased and then live in the trailer or in the garage and never really used.

Organize your practices and make sure your hitters are getting in a couple hundred swings per practice and you will find they will learn how to make solid contact with the ball. If you are relying on your parents to teach the kids how to hit then have them buy a bunch of these "hitting aids" and maybe the kids will get in the swings needed to become a hitter.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Organize your practices and make sure your hitters are getting in a couple hundred swings per practice and you will find they will learn how to make solid contact with the ball.

I don't disagree but find in a 1.1/2 hr practice, we don't have enough time to train them in both hitting and fielding to the level we would like. it requires extra 1 on 1 time. if you can find a tool that helps speed this process, makes it more fun or helps the coaches in another way, then I say go for it.

May 31, 2009
I don't disagree but find in a 1.1/2 hr practice, we don't have enough time to train them in both hitting and fielding to the level we would like. it requires extra 1 on 1 time. if you can find a tool that helps speed this process, makes it more fun or helps the coaches in another way, then I say go for it.

The Ultimate Hitting Machine (Beebe Sports Inc.) can do just what you are asking for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1