Playing Under the Lights

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 31, 2013
Does anyone have any advice for playing at night under artifical lights. Its not so much the glare of the lights, but the darkness. I find it very difficult to get a bead on the ball, both hitting and catching.

In the daylight I am an excellent fielder and flyball catcher, but at night it changes drastically.

I tried using colored lenses, eye-black.. Is it just a fact of night time playing?

Liam

Jul 26, 2010
Practice under the lights. There might be a community park you can use. In my area there are several, and why there are often teams practicing, many do not mind if one or two people ask to go toss a ball in the outfield out of the way.

An option for hitting, which works well this time of year, is to find a tennis court. Many have timed light systems. Have someone pitch to a catcher or into a net while you watch and practice "good takes". You can also work bunting.

The good news is that the team you are playing is having the exact same issues you are, so it's still a fair game.

-W

Jul 2, 2013
Does anyone have any advice for playing at night under artifical lights. Its not so much the glare of the lights, but the darkness. I find it very difficult to get a bead on the ball, both hitting and catching.

In the daylight I am an excellent fielder and flyball catcher, but at night it changes drastically.

I tried using colored lenses, eye-black.. Is it just a fact of night time playing?

Liam

My DD played baseball, and grew up with a ball cap. To this day she still wears it every game. The HS coach lets her.

She is an outfielder in softball. The reason baseball players, especially outfielders, where ball caps is it gives the player a steady frame of reference (the cap bill), and allows the player to better judge the angle and speed of fly balls.

It is common for outfielders on our team to don visors, or ball caps, when playing at night, or certain parts of the day.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I and DD are avid snow skiers. We have found when night skiing that a yellow lens snow goggles works the best for visibility at night. I would suggest a pair of shooters glasses with the yellow lenses, the kind you would use for shooting pistols. They are usually inexpensive and can be found at any place they sell guns... even Walmart. I, myself, nor DD has ever tried them in softball with a yellow ball so you might want to se if they are effective before recommending them for the team.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
My DD played baseball, and grew up with a ball cap. To this day she still wears it every game. The HS coach lets her.

She is an outfielder in softball. The reason baseball players, especially outfielders, where ball caps is it gives the player a steady frame of reference (the cap bill), and allows the player to better judge the angle and speed of fly balls.

It is common for outfielders on our team to don visors, or ball caps, when playing at night, or certain parts of the day.

And if you believe this....

Jul 2, 2013
Talk to baseball players, for to a person they are amazed softball players don't wear visors, at least. They are convinced it makes them play better, and possibly what you may consider an old wives tale.

I do know my DD plays better with a ball cap. I also have been amazed when I see softball instructors teaching players how to properly shield their eyes from a misplaced sun. I laugh, when I watch them coach this, as my DD is standing right next to them in a ball cap tipped low with no need for any instruction, or a 3rd hand.

So sure, if the baseball guys say it, and I watch my DD play better, especially in light challenged situations, I believe it.

If you wear a ball cap on a regular basis, there is science that says the mind gets used to this steady frame of reference, and does indeed help to mentally process the speed and distance of a ball coming off a bat.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
The interesting thing about eyeblack is that it only helps when used in combination with a dark visor. Eyeblack alone actually hinders eyesight. Mythbusters did an episode on this. Obviously softball players think its a form of spirit mascara though.

-W

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Talk to baseball players, for to a person they are amazed softball players don't wear visors, at least. They are convinced it makes them play better, and possibly what you may consider an old wives tale.

I do know my DD plays better with a ball cap. I also have been amazed when I see softball instructors teaching players how to properly shield their eyes from a misplaced sun. I laugh, when I watch them coach this, as my DD is standing right next to them in a ball cap tipped low with no need for any instruction, or a 3rd hand.

So sure, if the baseball guys say it, and I watch my DD play better, especially in light challenged situations, I believe it.

If you wear a ball cap on a regular basis, there is science that says the mind gets used to this steady frame of reference, and does indeed help to mentally process the speed and distance of a ball coming off a bat.

If your DD thinks she plays better with a hat, I'm sure she does. And its great that her HS coach let's her play with one. As a former baseball player who played with a hat for 20+ years, I can attest that hats, flip ups, sunglasses, eye black, and the glove hand can all be used either solo or in combination to effectively shield the sun or lights. And there is no debate that with practice (i.e., catching thousands of hit balls), one develops a mental database that assists with tracking the speed and trajectory of batted balls. While I wouldn't ever play without one, there is no science behind your claim that a hat assists with tracking a ball.

Jul 2, 2013
If your DD thinks she plays better with a hat, I'm sure she does. And its great that her HS coach let's her play with one. As a former baseball player who played with a hat for 20+ years, I can attest that hats, flip ups, sunglasses, eye black, and the glove hand can all be used either solo or in combination to effectively shield the sun or lights. And there is no debate that with practice (i.e., catching thousands of hit balls), one develops a mental database that assists with tracking the speed and trajectory of batted balls. While I wouldn't ever play without one, there is no science behind your claim that a hat assists with tracking a ball.

I have watched from personal experience of the purely subjective behavior of softball people who deny the benefits of wearing a baseball cap. It is because the female athlete is concerned about their appearance over their softball play.

And it is contributed by baseball founded softball players, who are laughed at, looked down to, because they are baseball founded players. I have lived it. I have paid the price, We still go deep and laugh every time.

Your statement I have put in bold tells me direct. As much as softball players who look in disgust at the "baseball" players who wear their baseball caps on the softball field... they will whip your butts, so have at it.

The top ranked North Carolina HS softball team all wear baseball caps. Really, you softball folks are way out of line here, I laugh, as you have never played baseball, and do not know.

A baseball cap cap, when worn continuously, help percieve distance and speed better, On top of the benefits of lighting and weather, Anyone who disputes these facts are STUPID.

It is a badge of honor (the cap). It is earned. Softball people will never understand, and surely never accepted. But you know what, it does not matter. When my DD takes the plate ... they know not to pitch a fastball on the plate ... because she has baseball origins ... it will cost you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meganmichelle